Insurance Plan of London West North-West District Vol. B: sheet 28-3
1 : 480 This detailed 1902 plan of London is one of a series of eighteen sheets in an atlas originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
PADDINGTON Estate Design. Letting Ground on Building Leases opposite to HYDE PARK
1 : 2400 The development of Paddington began at the end of the Napoleonic wars, when the Bishop of London granted permission for building on his estate north of Hyde Park. Under Gutch's supervision, works continued into the 1850s, extending to Bayswater and the Edgware and Harrow Roads.The plan shows the new letting ground on the Bishop of London's estate in pink without shading, along with the reservoirs of the Grand Junction Canal Company and the ground plot of the Great Western Railway terminus.The title of this plan appears at top right, with compass rose at top left and scale bar at the foot of the plate. Gutch, George
IMPROVED PLAN of the Termination of the GRAND JUNCTION CANAL at PADDINGTON With the Intended New Streets on the Estates of the Bishop of London
1 : 4800 The old course of the canal is indicated in blue.The improvements to the canal included: three new wharfs with enclosed reservoirs, at "A"; a service reservoir, at "B"; the enlargement of the canal by Arrow Road to allow barges to dock, at "C"; and a new basin for leisure boats, at "D". Also noted are three-and-a-half acres of land claimed by a Mr White, indicated by the letter "E".
A New PLAN of the CITY and LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads, with the Residences of the Principal Nobility, Public Offices, &c. Not extant in any other Plan.
This map is by Thomas Jeffreys, an exceptional cartographer and publisher whose productions, including maps of North America, are considered to be among the finest of his age. This map shows the new developments in Westminster by use of a colour coding system indicating varying stages of completion. Portman Square (W1), a contemporary development, was begun the year before this map was published. It was built between 1764 and 84 for the landlord Henry William Portman on what was then considered the outskirts of town. Thomas Jeffreys
Plan of the parish of PADDINGTON in the County of Middlesex 6
The development of Paddington began at the end of the Napoleonic wars, when the Bishop of London granted permission for building on his estate north of Hyde Park. Under Gutch's supervision, works continued into the 1850s, extending to Bayswater and the Edgware and Harrow Roads. The title of this plan appears at top left, with compass rose at top right and scale bar at bottom left. Also at bottom left is a key to the land acquired by the Grand Junction Canal Company from the Bishop of London. This the area in red on the plan, which also shows the final proposals for the new street plan at Bayswater. Gutch, George
Plan of the parish of PADDINGTON in the County of Middlesex 7
The development of Paddington began at the end of the Napoleonic wars, when the Bishop of London granted permission for building on his estate north of Hyde Park. Under Gutch's supervision, works continued into the 1850s, extending to Bayswater and the Edgware and Harrow Roads. The title of this plan appears at top left, with compass rose at top right and scale bar at bottom left. It shows the final street plan, with the Bishop of London's estate outlined in green, the Great Western Railway terminus in red, and the Paddington estate in yellow. Gutch, George
A New PLAN of LONDON WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK Engraved for Noorthouck's
This map highlights in red the boundaries of the old London Wall, built by the Romans. By the end of the 17th Century it had become an anachronistic nuisance. The first section (near Bishops Gate) was removed in 1707 and much of the rest was broken down or built over during the 18th Century. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1, wtih Newgate, the last to survive, demolished in 1777. Noorthouck, John
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map. Faden, William