A New PLAN of LONDON WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK Engraved for Noorthouck's
This map highlights in red the boundaries of the old London Wall, built by the Romans. By the end of the 17th Century it had become an anachronistic nuisance. The first section (near Bishops Gate) was removed in 1707 and much of the rest was broken down or built over during the 18th Century. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1, wtih Newgate, the last to survive, demolished in 1777.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 182
This map is a reissue of a map published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles's name has been replaced by that of Robert Wilkinson, the reissuer. A table of references to churches and public buildings appears below the map. The built-up area of the city is stippled, with other built-up areas done in crosshatching. Coloured lines delineate individual city wards.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK; with the adjacent Country
The title of this folding map appears along the top. The plan shows Blackfriars Bridge, which was under construction between 1760 and 1769. There is uncertainty about the date of this map. It is very similar to the 1765 map by Robert Sayer and was probably produced from the same plate. Laurie& Whittle took over Sayer's stock in 1792, making an earlier publication date very unlikely.
Laurie, Robert, and Whittle, James
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK;
This is a reissue of a map first published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles' name has been removed, with the imprint of there issuer, Robert Wilkinson, appearing instead. This map highlights the London Wall in red, showing with arrows the direction of water-flow in the Thames.
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields.
A NEW and CORRECT PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK wherein all the Streets, Roads, Churches, Public Buildings &c. To the Present Year 1781 are exactly delineated
A table of references in the top-left corner identifies the Great Offices of State and public buildings. Different colours denote the boundaries of Westminster, Southwark and the City.
Sayer, Robert and Bennett, John
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON,
Robert Sayer, the surveyor, traded as a map publisher and print seller in Fleet Street in the latter half of the 18th Century. Between 1751 and 1770and againfrom1784to 1794, he published maps under his own name or under the imprint of Sayer and Bennett. This is the 11th edition of a map published 14 times over a period of 27 years. During this time Robert Sayer became joined in partnership with John Bennett, with their joint imprint appearing on the third to eighth editions. The area of the city is highlighted in pink. A table of references for churches and public buildings appears below the map. In 1794 Sayers stock was acquired by Robert Laurie who founded the map publishing firm of Laurie & Whittle, with his friend James Whittle.
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK;
The title of this map appears along the top, with a key in panel below the plan and letters along the borders for reference. Sayer's maps of London, largely derivative, were issued with few alterations throughout the middle years of the 18th Century. This is a later edition of a map he first published in 1765, updated to include the approaches to Blackfriars Bridge, which did not feature in the first edition.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 152
Robert Laurie was a fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s. He acquired the stock of surveyor John Sayer’s in 1794 and, in partnership with James Whittle, founded the map publishing firm Laurie & Whittle. This map is very similar to the 1765 map by Robert Sayer and is probably from the same plate. Blackfriars Bridge is shown along with its proposed approaches.
Laurie, Robert, and Whittle, James.
A NEW and CORRECT PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK wherein all the Streets, Roads, Churches, Public Buildings &c. to the Present Year 1791 are exactly delineated.
Map publisher and print seller Robert Sayer traded from Fleet Street in the latter half of the 18th century, first under his own name, and then under the joint imprint of Sayer& Bennett. This map has four-colour text panels in corners, including information relating to the recent Act for regulating Hackney Coaches. The development of turnpike roads in 1750 saw an increase of wheeled traffic, supplanting rivers as the main medium of transport. The map also features information about new rates for watermen introduced in 1785.The title of the plan states that it has been published as the "Act Directs”, a reference to the Copyright Act of 1734, used to curb the high incidence of uncredited copying among mapmakers.
A NEW and CORRECT PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK wherein all the Streets, Roads, Churches, Public Buildings &c. To the Present Year 1785 are exactly delineated
Map publisher and print seller Robert Sayer traded from Fleet Street in the latter half of the 18th Century, first under his own name, and then under the joint imprint of Sayer& Bennett. This is a later edition of Sayer& Bennett's 1781 map of London. Coloured outlines appear along the boundaries of the London Wall, Westminster and Southwark. References tables appear in all four corners, listing public buildings, churches and the parishes within the Bills of Mortality (those parishes who reported deaths to the central London government). Open land, such as parks and gardens, is highlighted in green.
R. Sayer & J. Bennett
PLAN of the CITY'S of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and Borough of SOUTHWARK; with the new Additional Buildings; Anno 1720
This map appeared in "A New General Atlas Containing a Geographical and Historical Account of the World", published by Daniel Browne et al. in 1721. Its title runs along the top, with dedication to Sir Peter Delme, Knight and Alderman, in cartouche at top left. The city arms and insignia, compass rose and scale bar feature at the foot of the plate. Reference tables to places in Westminster, London and Southwark appear in panels below the plan.