A New PLAN of the CITY and LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads, with the Residences of the Principal Nobility, Public Offices, &c. Not extant in any other Plan.
This map is by Thomas Jeffreys, an exceptional cartographer and publisher whose productions, including maps of North America, are considered to be among the finest of his age. This map shows the new developments in Westminster by use of a colour coding system indicating varying stages of completion. Portman Square (W1), a contemporary development, was begun the year before this map was published. It was built between 1764 and 84 for the landlord Henry William Portman on what was then considered the outskirts of town. Thomas Jeffreys
A New PLAN of LONDON WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK Engraved for Noorthouck's
This map highlights in red the boundaries of the old London Wall, built by the Romans. By the end of the 17th Century it had become an anachronistic nuisance. The first section (near Bishops Gate) was removed in 1707 and much of the rest was broken down or built over during the 18th Century. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1, wtih Newgate, the last to survive, demolished in 1777. Noorthouck, John
PLAN of the CITY'S of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and Borough of SOUTHWARK; with the new Additional Buildings; Anno 1720
This map appeared in "A New General Atlas Containing a Geographical and Historical Account of the World", published by Daniel Browne et al. in 1721. Its title runs along the top, with dedication to Sir Peter Delme, Knight and Alderman, in cartouche at top left. The city arms and insignia, compass rose and scale bar feature at the foot of the plate. Reference tables to places in Westminster, London and Southwark appear in panels below the plan. Parker, S.
A New and Correct PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, with several Additional Improvements, not in any former Survey
The title of this map appears in a square table at bottom right with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar below the plan. The writer, poet and dramatist Robert Dodsley and his brother, the print- and book-seller James, were business partners and issued this map from their shop in Pall Mall in 1761. Dodsley, Robert & James
A NEW Mapp of the CITY of LONDON &c. With the Many additional Buildings and New Streets Anno 1720 In a Playne Method for Easy finding any street at first View
This is a later edition of a map first published in 1716. The title appears along the top, with a key to churches at top left, alongside coats of arms representing the City and the twelve Great Livery Companies. The key to individual city wards appears at top right. At bottom left are a compass rose, scale bar and the key to public buildings. Rates of hackney coaches and water ferries appear in a table at bottom centre. The map is similar to Overton’s map of 1706, showing St. Paul's and other prominent buildings pictorially. Taylor, Thomas
A POCKET MAP of the Cities of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK With the Addition of the Buildings to the Present Year
The title of this pocket map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears in cartouche at bottom centre alongside the city arms. A compass star is depicted in the river with a publisher’s imprint (in scroll) at bottom left. An engraver by trade, Thomas Bowles acquired the stock of cartographers Morden & Lea at the beginning of the 18th Century, starting a successful publishing house, the output of which was almost entirely derivative. Bowles' brother, John, was also a print seller and publisher. Their businesses were separate, but the two often worked together. Bowles, Thomas
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water. Rocque, John
NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520 The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
FORD'S ILLUSTRATED MEMORIAL OF THE GRAND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION OF ALL NATIONS, HYDE PARK, LONDON 1851
This pictorial map commemorates the Great Exhibition of 1851, conceived by Henry Cole and presided over by Prince Albert. Theexhibition was held in the Crystal Palace. Designed by Joseph Paxton, it showcased exhibits from all over the world, including the largest pearl ever found, a knife with 300 blades, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond. The exhibition was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851. She remained a frequent visitor, as did the Duke of Wellington. Only main roads in the capital are shown on this map and London locations are marked by small medallions containing scenes. Borders of roundels contain people from "all nations". Queen Victoria and Albert flank a view of the Crystal Palace, which was removed from Hyde Park in 1852andrebuilt at Sydenham. Simpson Ford, William
A New and Exact PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and the Borough of SOUTHWARK. With all y.e Additional New Buildings to y.e Present Year 1724
The title of this map of London appears in cartouche at middle right, with compass rose at top right, and a key to buildings at bottom right. A historical note appears at bottom centre along with a scale bar, the fares of hackney coaches and water ferries, and illustrations of oars and sculls. This map is divided into squares with numbers along borders for reference. Smith, John
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336 This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate. Overton, Henry
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan of North Side of River
1 : 4800 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
This plan-view of Westminster was published in Norden's 'Speculum Britanniae' in 1593. The title appears at top right below the royal arms, with a compass rose at the foot of the plate. Under different jurisdiction than the City of London, Westminster had developed during the middle ages into a centre of royal administration. Along the Strand are the former residences of the Bishops deposed at the Reformation. By the late 16th Century, these properties were in the hands of the Queen's courtiers, statesmen and other people of influence. Norden, John
PLAN OF A Street Proposed FROM CHARING CROSS TO PORTLAND PLACE.
1 : 6000 This is Nash's original design for Regent Street.The title appears at top right, with compass star and scale bar at the bottom left. The course of the street highlighted in yellow, with Crown property is highlighted in blue.Starting at Carlton House, Regent Street ran through crownland at Piccadilly (where a circus was built) before turning north-west along Swallow Street, in Soho, finally joining Portland Place north of Oxford Street. Thompson
MAP of the GROSVENOR ESTATE (tinted pink) as it was in the Year 1723. with the intended Streets about Grosvenor Square.
1 : 5592 The title of this plan features at top right, with compass star at middle right and explanatory note at bottom right. The boundaries of the St George parish are outlined in red, with the properties in the estate in pink, and parks and open spaces in green. The plan shows the proposed new street plans for Grosvenor Square, but not the Chelsea waterworks,which featured in the original drawing from which this print was produced.