NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520
The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water.
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336
This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate.
MAP of the GROSVENOR ESTATE (tinted pink) as it was in the Year 1723. with the intended Streets about Grosvenor Square.
1 : 5592
The title of this plan features at top right, with compass star at middle right and explanatory note at bottom right. The boundaries of the St George parish are outlined in red, with the properties in the estate in pink, and parks and open spaces in green. The plan shows the proposed new street plans for Grosvenor Square, but not the Chelsea waterworks,which featured in the original drawing from which this print was produced.
A New PLAN of the CITY and LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads, with the Residences of the Principal Nobility, Public Offices, &c. Not extant in any other Plan.
This map is by Thomas Jeffreys, an exceptional cartographer and publisher whose productions, including maps of North America, are considered to be among the finest of his age. This map shows the new developments in Westminster by use of a colour coding system indicating varying stages of completion. Portman Square (W1), a contemporary development, was begun the year before this map was published. It was built between 1764 and 84 for the landlord Henry William Portman on what was then considered the outskirts of town.
FORD'S ILLUSTRATED MEMORIAL OF THE GRAND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION OF ALL NATIONS, HYDE PARK, LONDON 1851
This pictorial map commemorates the Great Exhibition of 1851, conceived by Henry Cole and presided over by Prince Albert. Theexhibition was held in the Crystal Palace. Designed by Joseph Paxton, it showcased exhibits from all over the world, including the largest pearl ever found, a knife with 300 blades, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond. The exhibition was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851. She remained a frequent visitor, as did the Duke of Wellington. Only main roads in the capital are shown on this map and London locations are marked by small medallions containing scenes. Borders of roundels contain people from "all nations". Queen Victoria and Albert flank a view of the Crystal Palace, which was removed from Hyde Park in 1852andrebuilt at Sydenham.
Simpson Ford, William
This plan-view of Westminster was published in Norden's 'Speculum Britanniae' in 1593. The title appears at top right below the royal arms, with a compass rose at the foot of the plate. Under different jurisdiction than the City of London, Westminster had developed during the middle ages into a centre of royal administration. Along the Strand are the former residences of the Bishops deposed at the Reformation. By the late 16th Century, these properties were in the hands of the Queen's courtiers, statesmen and other people of influence.
A Plan of the Palace Gardens and TOWN of KENSINGTON
1 : 4800
The title of this plan of Kensington Palace and gardens appears in English and French, with scale bars and a key to architectural and natural features, in a panel below the plan. Kensington Gardens were originally attached to Nottingham House, which was bought in 1689 by William III and turned into Kensington Palace. Queen Mary took a great interest in the gardens and had them landscaped by royal gardeners in formal Dutch patterns. Uprooted by order of Queen Anne at the beginning of the 18th century, the Dutch gardens were replaced in 1726 by this Wise and Bridgeman design, including the round pond, the Broad Walk and the Temple Lodge.
1 : 3960
The title and compass star of this plan appear at middle left, with them scale bar at bottom right. At over 340 acres the largest of all the royal parks, Hyde Park was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to the public at the beginning of the 17th century, and remained a deer hunting ground until 1768.
PLAN OF A Street Proposed FROM CHARING CROSS TO PORTLAND PLACE.
1 : 6000
This is Nash's original design for Regent Street.The title appears at top right, with compass star and scale bar at the bottom left. The course of the street highlighted in yellow, with Crown property is highlighted in blue.Starting at Carlton House, Regent Street ran through crownland at Piccadilly (where a circus was built) before turning north-west along Swallow Street, in Soho, finally joining Portland Place north of Oxford Street.
ST. GEORGE'S PARISH, HANOVER SQUARE.
1 : 8448
This plan of the Parish of St George is surrounded by views of St George's church, Knightsbridge chapel, Conduit Street chapel, Chelsea chapel, Audley Street chapel and Berkeley chapel, the whole set within a decorative border. The title and imprint appear at the foot of the plate. The Parish of St George was created in 1725 and covered an area previously in the Parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields that stretched from Regent Street (then called Swallow Street) to the Serpentine, and from Oxford Street to Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico.
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan
1 : 4800
This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet).
Chas E Goad Limited
Chas E Goad Limited