MAP of the GROSVENOR ESTATE (tinted pink) as it was in the Year 1723. with the intended Streets about Grosvenor Square.
1 : 5592
The title of this plan features at top right, with compass star at middle right and explanatory note at bottom right. The boundaries of the St George parish are outlined in red, with the properties in the estate in pink, and parks and open spaces in green. The plan shows the proposed new street plans for Grosvenor Square, but not the Chelsea waterworks,which featured in the original drawing from which this print was produced.
NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520
The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water.
Plan of Lands in the vicinity of the River Thames between Pimlico, Chelsea Hospital and the Penitentiary at Millbank.
1 : 3192
This plan of the parishes of Chelsea and St George, Hanover Square, shows the reservoirs of the Chelsea Water Company and the Ranelagh and Scholars Pond sewers. The note at lower left explains that the drawing is taken from the general plan of the district's sewers made by Peter Potter in 1815. Also shown in the plan are the Ranelagh Gardens, near Chelsea Hospital, which was last licensed as a place of public resort in 1804.
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336
This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate.
ST. GEORGE'S PARISH, HANOVER SQUARE.
1 : 8448
This plan of the Parish of St George is surrounded by views of St George's church, Knightsbridge chapel, Conduit Street chapel, Chelsea chapel, Audley Street chapel and Berkeley chapel, the whole set within a decorative border. The title and imprint appear at the foot of the plate. The Parish of St George was created in 1725 and covered an area previously in the Parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields that stretched from Regent Street (then called Swallow Street) to the Serpentine, and from Oxford Street to Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico.
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan
1 : 4800
This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet).
Chas E Goad Limited
Chas E Goad Limited
A PLAN of the Streets in the united Parishes of ST. MARGARET & ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, Westminster. From a Survey made by I.H. Taylor. No. 22 PARLIAMENT STREET 1828.
Plan of the parishes of St Margaret's, outlined in blue line, and St James', delineated in pink, Westminster. A thin red line shows the boundary of the Tothill Fields District. The large 6-petal structure depicted at lower left is Millbank Penitentiary, built in response to requests for prison reform and finally completed in 1821.
Taylor, J. H.
The PARISH of ST. JAMES'S, Westminster, taken from the last Survey with Corrections 2
1 : 11076
This plan is taken from the first edition of Stow's "Survey of England".The plan's title features in a banner at the top centre, with a key to streets, yards, halls, courts and private properties at the top left.Land use and natural features described by symbols and three-dimensional illustrations.St James's Square was laid out in 1662 when Henry Jermyn, Earl of St Albans, obtained a grant of land on the outskirts of London.In 1674, Christopher Wren was appointed architect of the parish church.
The PARISH of ST. JAMES'S, Westminster, taken from the last Survey with Corrections 3
1 : 11076
This plan was taken from Strype's first annotated edition of Stow's "Survey of England". The plan's title features in cartouche at the top of the plate, with keys to streets, yards, inns, halls and other landmarks in tables at top left and bottom right.The scale bar is also at bottom right. Additions made by Strype that did not feature in earlier editions of the plan include the housing developments in Soho and neighbouring St Martin's (replacing open fields and an extended table of reference).
Sketch of the Procession Usually Observed in the Coronation of our KINGS & QUEENS together with a PLAN pointing out Several new Paths and their Parts Adjacent
A sketch of individuals and their order in the coronation procession is featured at the top of the page.60 years as king, George III's was the second longest reign in British history. He was third Hanoverian monarch, but the first to be born in England and use English as his first language. His reign was curtailed by periodic bouts of mental instability,which many contemporary commentators ascribed to the strain of the American conflict,but was more likely caused by the hereditary physical disorder called porphyria. He was a cultured monarch who donated to the nation a royal collection of books as the nucleus of a national library, now held in the King's Tower;in the British Library.