LONDON WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
The title of this small map runs along the top, with the imprint and scale bar below the plan. The map shows Waterloo Bridge, or Strand Bridge, with the proposed southern approach indicated by a dotted line. Designed by John Rennie, Waterloo Bridge was constructed by a commercial company hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic. The bridge cost 1m and was never profitable. The bridge was demolished and replaced controversially in 1936. Luffman, John
A PLAN of LONDON with the MODERN IMPROVEMENTS
This map is a later edition one first issued by Phillips at the beginning of the 19th Century, re-engraved by Neele with the addition of plans for the London Docks at Wapping. Daniel Alexander’s original design for this area comprised the 20-acre St. George’s Dock, to the west, and the seven-acre Shadwell Dock, to the east. Each would have its own basin, and be linked by a small Tobacco Dock. When opened in 1805the London Docks were the nearest to the city and for 21 years all shipments of tobacco, rice, wine and brandy (except those from the East and West Indies) had to unload there. Phillips, Richard
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map. Faden, William
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
LONDON extending from the HEAD of the PADDINGTON CANAL West to the WEST INDIA DOCKS EAST with the proposed improvements between the Royal exchange and Finsbury Square
As the19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations in general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This small map was published in David Hugson's' London, being an accurate history & description of the British Metropolis'. The map is divided into reference squares, featuring the title at top right, scale bar at the top left and a key in the table below the plan. Stratford, James
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years. Cary, John
A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death. Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777. UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON with the Names of the Streets Alphabetically arranged at Bottom with directions to find them in the Map
The title of this map appears along the top and with the river, city boundaries and open spaces depicted in different colours. The map is divided into numbered squares for reference, with a key in the table below the plan. Samuel Fores, better known as a publisher of sporting prints, first issued this map in 1789; this is a later edition, updated to include the housing developments of Sommers Town and St. George's Field. Fores, Samuel W.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 236
The title of this map of London appears inset in the top border, with the publisher’s imprint below the plan. Open spaces, city boundaries and boroughs are delineated in colour. The key to these colours is provided, with a scale bar, at bottom right. The map is a later edition of a map first published by Wyld in 1824, with the addition of the London-to-Greenwich railway. The line reached Bermondsey from Greenwich in 1836. Ten months later, the line reached London Bridge, making it the first railway terminus in the capital. Wyld, James