Insurance Plan of London Western District Vol. A: sheet 38-2
1 : 480
This detailed 1901 plan of London is one of a series of forty-one sheets in an atlas originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet).
Chas E Goad Limited
Chas E Goad Limited
A PLAN of the Streets in the united Parishes of ST. MARGARET & ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, Westminster. From a Survey made by I.H. Taylor. No. 22 PARLIAMENT STREET 1828.
Plan of the parishes of St Margaret's, outlined in blue line, and St James', delineated in pink, Westminster. A thin red line shows the boundary of the Tothill Fields District. The large 6-petal structure depicted at lower left is Millbank Penitentiary, built in response to requests for prison reform and finally completed in 1821.
Taylor, J. H.
Plan of Lands in the vicinity of the River Thames between Pimlico, Chelsea Hospital and the Penitentiary at Millbank.
1 : 3192
This plan of the parishes of Chelsea and St George, Hanover Square, shows the reservoirs of the Chelsea Water Company and the Ranelagh and Scholars Pond sewers. The note at lower left explains that the drawing is taken from the general plan of the district's sewers made by Peter Potter in 1815. Also shown in the plan are the Ranelagh Gardens, near Chelsea Hospital, which was last licensed as a place of public resort in 1804.
NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520
The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water.
MAP of the GROSVENOR ESTATE (tinted pink) as it was in the Year 1723. with the intended Streets about Grosvenor Square.
1 : 5592
The title of this plan features at top right, with compass star at middle right and explanatory note at bottom right. The boundaries of the St George parish are outlined in red, with the properties in the estate in pink, and parks and open spaces in green. The plan shows the proposed new street plans for Grosvenor Square, but not the Chelsea waterworks,which featured in the original drawing from which this print was produced.
A Plan of London, Westminst.r and Southwark
This is derivative of Hatton's edition of Braun & Hogenberg's map-view of London. Unusually for a map of its time, most of the buildings are represented in plan instead of pictorially. The Latin text at the foot of the plate in the original are replaced by notes, in English, on the geographic and demographic growth of the city.
Braun, Georg & Hogenberg, Frans
LONDINUM Vulgo LONDON
This later edition of Braun & Hogenberg's map of London and Westminster was published in Janssen's 'Illustrorem Principumque Urbium Septentrionalium Europae'. The map's title appears in a cartouche at the foot of the plate, replacing the figures of merchants of the first edition. Tudor arms feature top right, with city arms at top left and descriptive notes to the bottom right and bottom left. The map is similar in detail to the 'Copperplate Map', the earliest printed map of London of which no complete copy survives. Merchant ships, cranes, mills, bull and bear baiting pits, the large tennis courts at Westminster and the stags in St. James’s are examples of London's business and leisure activities. Walled gardens, elegant churches and livery halls testify to the high quality of life enjoyed by its citizens.
Braun, Georg & Hogenberg, Frans
PLAN of the CITY'S of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and Borough of SOUTHWARK; with the new Additional Buildings; Anno 1720
This map appeared in "A New General Atlas Containing a Geographical and Historical Account of the World", published by Daniel Browne et al. in 1721. Its title runs along the top, with dedication to Sir Peter Delme, Knight and Alderman, in cartouche at top left. The city arms and insignia, compass rose and scale bar feature at the foot of the plate. Reference tables to places in Westminster, London and Southwark appear in panels below the plan.