A POCKET MAP of the Cities of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK With the Addition of the Buildings to the Present Year
The title of this pocket map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears in cartouche at bottom centre alongside the city arms. A compass star is depicted in the river with a publisher’s imprint (in scroll) at bottom left. An engraver by trade, Thomas Bowles acquired the stock of cartographers Morden & Lea at the beginning of the 18th Century, starting a successful publishing house, the output of which was almost entirely derivative. Bowles' brother, John, was also a print seller and publisher. Their businesses were separate, but the two often worked together. Bowles, Thomas
The CITY GUIDE or A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1742
The title of this pocket map appears in a panel at top left, with the publisher's imprint below the plan and fares of hackney coaches and water ferries in tables at top right and bottom centre. The map shows the new bridge at Westminster and represents the built-up within the city by stippling. An engraver by trade, Thomas Bowles acquired Morden & Lea's stock at the beginning of the 18th Century and started a successful publishing house whose output was almost entirely derivative. Thomas Bowles's business was separate from that of his brother John, but the two often worked together. Bowles, John & Thomas
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With the New Buildings to ye Year 1760. Not Extant in any other Map.
The title of this map appears in ornamental cartouche at top left, with fares of hackney coaches in tables at top- and middle-right. Fares of water ferries feature at bottom centre. The built-up area is stippled in the City of London itself, and hatched elsewhere, with the city boundaries outlined in colours. The map is a later edition of the map first issued by George Foster in 1739, updated to include the approaches to Westminster Bridge and the intended new bridge at Blackfriars. Sayer, Robert
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year 1767.
The title of this map of Georgian London features along the top. Rates of hackney coaches are noted at top- and middle-right, with rates of water ferries at bottom centre. A member of the Joiners Livery Company, Carrington Bowles continued the family printing and publishing business started by his father, John, and uncle, Thomas. Bowles, Carington
PLAN of the CITY'S of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and Borough of SOUTHWARK; with the new Additional Buildings; Anno 1720
This map appeared in "A New General Atlas Containing a Geographical and Historical Account of the World", published by Daniel Browne et al. in 1721. Its title runs along the top, with dedication to Sir Peter Delme, Knight and Alderman, in cartouche at top left. The city arms and insignia, compass rose and scale bar feature at the foot of the plate. Reference tables to places in Westminster, London and Southwark appear in panels below the plan. Parker, S.
A New and Correct PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, with several Additional Improvements, not in any former Survey
The title of this map appears in a square table at bottom right with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar below the plan. The writer, poet and dramatist Robert Dodsley and his brother, the print- and book-seller James, were business partners and issued this map from their shop in Pall Mall in 1761. Dodsley, Robert & James
A NEW Mapp of the CITY of LONDON &c. With the Many additional Buildings and New Streets Anno 1720 In a Playne Method for Easy finding any street at first View
This is a later edition of a map first published in 1716. The title appears along the top, with a key to churches at top left, alongside coats of arms representing the City and the twelve Great Livery Companies. The key to individual city wards appears at top right. At bottom left are a compass rose, scale bar and the key to public buildings. Rates of hackney coaches and water ferries appear in a table at bottom centre. The map is similar to Overton’s map of 1706, showing St. Paul's and other prominent buildings pictorially. Taylor, Thomas
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1745
This is a later edition of a map first issued by Lyne in 1741. The title and scale bar appear at top left, with fares of hackney coaches in tables at top and middle right, fares of water ferries at bottom centre, and an advertisement for a set of the arms of the great twelve livery companies at bottom left. The map shows St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London and Westminster Bridge three-dimensionally, with the built-up area stippled within the City and hatched elsewhere and with the boundaries of the City outlined in colour. Lyne, S.
LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK
This map of London was printed in six sections. The title appears in ribbon at top right, with a compass in the river at lower left, facing a key to company halls in a table at top left. City wards and parishes are shown in a table at bottom centre, with the streets of Westminster in a table at bottom left. Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1759
This pocket map of London is reminiscent of Henry Overton's map of 1731.The title and scale bar appear at top left, fares of hackney coaches feature at top and middle right, and fares of water ferries at bottom centre. A note on distances, churches and public buildings is included at bottom right with the city boundaries outlined in colour. Robert Whity, who issued this map in 1759, added a sheet to include the development north of Oxford Street in the estate of Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, where Cavendish Square was at the centre of a new residential district being built by Edward Harley, the duke’s son-in-law. Whity, Robert
A Correct PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the BILLS of MORTALITY, with the ADDITIONAL BUILDINGS 118
This map of London was published as supplement to Volume 30 of the 'London Magazine' in 1761. Attributed to John Rocque, the map's title features in a panel below the plan, with the publisher’s imprint along the top. [Rocque, John]
A New PLAN of LONDON WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK Engraved for Noorthouck's
This map highlights in red the boundaries of the old London Wall, built by the Romans. By the end of the 17th Century it had become an anachronistic nuisance. The first section (near Bishops Gate) was removed in 1707 and much of the rest was broken down or built over during the 18th Century. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1, wtih Newgate, the last to survive, demolished in 1777. Noorthouck, John
A New and Exact PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and the Borough of SOUTHWARK. With all y.e Additional New Buildings to y.e Present Year 1724
The title of this map of London appears in cartouche at middle right, with compass rose at top right, and a key to buildings at bottom right. A historical note appears at bottom centre along with a scale bar, the fares of hackney coaches and water ferries, and illustrations of oars and sculls. This map is divided into squares with numbers along borders for reference. Smith, John
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year
This map of Georgian London was published in John Entick's 1766'A New and Accurate History and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark.' The title of the map appears in a panel below the plan along with the rates of hackney coaches and water ferries. It extends eastward to include Limehouse, then one of the main centres for shipbuilding in the capital. Bowles, Carington
A New and Exact Plan of Ye City of London and suburbs thereof, 1731 93
This is the third edition of Overton's map of London and the suburbs first issued in 1720. The map features title in cartouche at top left, lists of Hackney coaches and watermen's rates at bottom left and centre, City arms at bottom right and compass in river. The area within the boundaries of the City of London is stippled, with ward boundaries highlighted in colour. The map is divided in squares with letters along the margins for reference. Overton, Henry
Urbium Londini et West-Monasterii nec non suburbii Southwark accurata ichnographia : in qua viae publicae omnes et singulae, plateae majores et minores, vici, angiporti, porticulae etc. una cum accessionibus aedificiorum, quibus urbs usque ad a. 1736, novissime locupletata est, reprasentantur : ad norman prototypi Londinensis edita curris Hommannianorum Heredum C.P.S.C.M
1 : 5280 Homann Erben (Firm) Homaennischen Erben
An IMPROVED PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &C. to the Present Year 1765.
The title of this pocket map appears along the top, with built-up areas represented by stippling in the City of London, and crosshatching elsewhere. A table of reference appears in a panel below the plan. The map, a later edition of Kitching and Parker's 1765 plan, shows the new bridge and the approaches at Blackfriars. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches each faced with cast iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Kitching, Thomas and Parker, Henry
A NEW and Correct PLAN OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK with the COUNTRY adjacent, the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &c. to the Year 1766
The title of this map runs along the top of the plan, which shows the new bridge at Blackfriars as "Pitt's Bridge". Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced in a hundred years later by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast-iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Gibson, John