A New and Correct PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, with several Additional Improvements, not in any former Survey
The title of this map appears in a square table at bottom right with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar below the plan. The writer, poet and dramatist Robert Dodsley and his brother, the print- and book-seller James, were business partners and issued this map from their shop in Pall Mall in 1761. Dodsley, Robert & James
PLAN of the CITY'S of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and Borough of SOUTHWARK; with the new Additional Buildings; Anno 1720
This map appeared in "A New General Atlas Containing a Geographical and Historical Account of the World", published by Daniel Browne et al. in 1721. Its title runs along the top, with dedication to Sir Peter Delme, Knight and Alderman, in cartouche at top left. The city arms and insignia, compass rose and scale bar feature at the foot of the plate. Reference tables to places in Westminster, London and Southwark appear in panels below the plan. Parker, S.
A New PLAN of LONDON WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK Engraved for Noorthouck's
This map highlights in red the boundaries of the old London Wall, built by the Romans. By the end of the 17th Century it had become an anachronistic nuisance. The first section (near Bishops Gate) was removed in 1707 and much of the rest was broken down or built over during the 18th Century. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1, wtih Newgate, the last to survive, demolished in 1777. Noorthouck, John
A NEW Mapp of the CITY of LONDON &c. With the Many additional Buildings and New Streets Anno 1720 In a Playne Method for Easy finding any street at first View
This is a later edition of a map first published in 1716. The title appears along the top, with a key to churches at top left, alongside coats of arms representing the City and the twelve Great Livery Companies. The key to individual city wards appears at top right. At bottom left are a compass rose, scale bar and the key to public buildings. Rates of hackney coaches and water ferries appear in a table at bottom centre. The map is similar to Overton’s map of 1706, showing St. Paul's and other prominent buildings pictorially. Taylor, Thomas
The CITY GUIDE or A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1742
The title of this pocket map appears in a panel at top left, with the publisher's imprint below the plan and fares of hackney coaches and water ferries in tables at top right and bottom centre. The map shows the new bridge at Westminster and represents the built-up within the city by stippling. An engraver by trade, Thomas Bowles acquired Morden & Lea's stock at the beginning of the 18th Century and started a successful publishing house whose output was almost entirely derivative. Thomas Bowles's business was separate from that of his brother John, but the two often worked together. Bowles, John & Thomas
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year 1767.
The title of this map of Georgian London features along the top. Rates of hackney coaches are noted at top- and middle-right, with rates of water ferries at bottom centre. A member of the Joiners Livery Company, Carrington Bowles continued the family printing and publishing business started by his father, John, and uncle, Thomas. Bowles, Carington
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With the New Buildings to ye Year 1760. Not Extant in any other Map.
The title of this map appears in ornamental cartouche at top left, with fares of hackney coaches in tables at top- and middle-right. Fares of water ferries feature at bottom centre. The built-up area is stippled in the City of London itself, and hatched elsewhere, with the city boundaries outlined in colours. The map is a later edition of the map first issued by George Foster in 1739, updated to include the approaches to Westminster Bridge and the intended new bridge at Blackfriars. Sayer, Robert
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
THE CITY GUIDE OR POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK with the New Buildings to this Present Year 1764
This pocket map of London based on Rocque's map of 1748.Thetitle appears along the top, with the built-up area in the City of London described by stippling, and other built-up areas by crosshatching. The city boundaries are outlined in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridge at Blackfriars, but not the approaches. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge to span the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland-stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by Cubitt and Carr’s present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast iron and a granite pier.
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK;
This is a reissue of a map first published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles' name has been removed, with the imprint of there issuer, Robert Wilkinson, appearing instead. This map highlights the London Wall in red, showing with arrows the direction of water-flow in the Thames. Bowles, John
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1759
This pocket map of London is reminiscent of Henry Overton's map of 1731.The title and scale bar appear at top left, fares of hackney coaches feature at top and middle right, and fares of water ferries at bottom centre. A note on distances, churches and public buildings is included at bottom right with the city boundaries outlined in colour. Robert Whity, who issued this map in 1759, added a sheet to include the development north of Oxford Street in the estate of Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, where Cavendish Square was at the centre of a new residential district being built by Edward Harley, the duke’s son-in-law. Whity, Robert
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK; with the adjacent Country
The title of this folding map appears along the top. The plan shows Blackfriars Bridge, which was under construction between 1760 and 1769. There is uncertainty about the date of this map. It is very similar to the 1765 map by Robert Sayer and was probably produced from the same plate. Laurie& Whittle took over Sayer's stock in 1792, making an earlier publication date very unlikely. Laurie, Robert, and Whittle, James
A NEW and Correct PLAN OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK with the COUNTRY adjacent, the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &c. to the Year 1766
The title of this map runs along the top of the plan, which shows the new bridge at Blackfriars as "Pitt's Bridge". Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced in a hundred years later by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast-iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Gibson, John