A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1745
This is a later edition of a map first issued by Lyne in 1741. The title and scale bar appear at top left, with fares of hackney coaches in tables at top and middle right, fares of water ferries at bottom centre, and an advertisement for a set of the arms of the great twelve livery companies at bottom left. The map shows St. Paul's Cathedral, the Tower of London and Westminster Bridge three-dimensionally, with the built-up area stippled within the City and hatched elsewhere and with the boundaries of the City outlined in colour. Lyne, S.
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year 1767.
The title of this map of Georgian London features along the top. Rates of hackney coaches are noted at top- and middle-right, with rates of water ferries at bottom centre. A member of the Joiners Livery Company, Carrington Bowles continued the family printing and publishing business started by his father, John, and uncle, Thomas. Bowles, Carington
The CITY GUIDE or A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1742
The title of this pocket map appears in a panel at top left, with the publisher's imprint below the plan and fares of hackney coaches and water ferries in tables at top right and bottom centre. The map shows the new bridge at Westminster and represents the built-up within the city by stippling. An engraver by trade, Thomas Bowles acquired Morden & Lea's stock at the beginning of the 18th Century and started a successful publishing house whose output was almost entirely derivative. Thomas Bowles's business was separate from that of his brother John, but the two often worked together. Bowles, John & Thomas
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1759
This pocket map of London is reminiscent of Henry Overton's map of 1731.The title and scale bar appear at top left, fares of hackney coaches feature at top and middle right, and fares of water ferries at bottom centre. A note on distances, churches and public buildings is included at bottom right with the city boundaries outlined in colour. Robert Whity, who issued this map in 1759, added a sheet to include the development north of Oxford Street in the estate of Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, where Cavendish Square was at the centre of a new residential district being built by Edward Harley, the duke’s son-in-law. Whity, Robert
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With the New Buildings to ye Year 1760. Not Extant in any other Map.
The title of this map appears in ornamental cartouche at top left, with fares of hackney coaches in tables at top- and middle-right. Fares of water ferries feature at bottom centre. The built-up area is stippled in the City of London itself, and hatched elsewhere, with the city boundaries outlined in colours. The map is a later edition of the map first issued by George Foster in 1739, updated to include the approaches to Westminster Bridge and the intended new bridge at Blackfriars. Sayer, Robert
A Correct PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the BILLS of MORTALITY, with the ADDITIONAL BUILDINGS 118
This map of London was published as supplement to Volume 30 of the 'London Magazine' in 1761. Attributed to John Rocque, the map's title features in a panel below the plan, with the publisher’s imprint along the top. [Rocque, John]
A New and Exact Plan of Ye City of London and suburbs thereof, 1731 93
This is the third edition of Overton's map of London and the suburbs first issued in 1720. The map features title in cartouche at top left, lists of Hackney coaches and watermen's rates at bottom left and centre, City arms at bottom right and compass in river. The area within the boundaries of the City of London is stippled, with ward boundaries highlighted in colour. The map is divided in squares with letters along the margins for reference. Overton, Henry
LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK
This map of London was printed in six sections. The title appears in ribbon at top right, with a compass in the river at lower left, facing a key to company halls in a table at top left. City wards and parishes are shown in a table at bottom centre, with the streets of Westminster in a table at bottom left. Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year
This map of Georgian London was published in John Entick's 1766'A New and Accurate History and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark.' The title of the map appears in a panel below the plan along with the rates of hackney coaches and water ferries. It extends eastward to include Limehouse, then one of the main centres for shipbuilding in the capital. Bowles, Carington
A New and Exact PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and the Borough of SOUTHWARK. With all y.e Additional New Buildings to y.e Present Year 1724
The title of this map of London appears in cartouche at middle right, with compass rose at top right, and a key to buildings at bottom right. A historical note appears at bottom centre along with a scale bar, the fares of hackney coaches and water ferries, and illustrations of oars and sculls. This map is divided into squares with numbers along borders for reference. Smith, John
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
Urbium Londini et West-Monasterii nec non suburbii Southwark accurata ichnographia : in qua viae publicae omnes et singulae, plateae majores et minores, vici, angiporti, porticulae etc. una cum accessionibus aedificiorum, quibus urbs usque ad a. 1736, novissime locupletata est, reprasentantur : ad norman prototypi Londinensis edita curris Hommannianorum Heredum C.P.S.C.M
1 : 5280 Homann Erben (Firm) Homaennischen Erben
An IMPROVED PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &C. to the Present Year 1765.
The title of this pocket map appears along the top, with built-up areas represented by stippling in the City of London, and crosshatching elsewhere. A table of reference appears in a panel below the plan. The map, a later edition of Kitching and Parker's 1765 plan, shows the new bridge and the approaches at Blackfriars. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches each faced with cast iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Kitching, Thomas and Parker, Henry
A NEW and Correct PLAN OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK with the COUNTRY adjacent, the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &c. to the Year 1766
The title of this map runs along the top of the plan, which shows the new bridge at Blackfriars as "Pitt's Bridge". Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced in a hundred years later by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast-iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Gibson, John
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas