The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year
This map of Georgian London was published in John Entick's 1766'A New and Accurate History and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark.' The title of the map appears in a panel below the plan along with the rates of hackney coaches and water ferries. It extends eastward to include Limehouse, then one of the main centres for shipbuilding in the capital. Bowles, Carington
Urbium Londini et West-Monasterii nec non suburbii Southwark accurata ichnographia : in qua viae publicae omnes et singulae, plateae majores et minores, vici, angiporti, porticulae etc. una cum accessionibus aedificiorum, quibus urbs usque ad a. 1736, novissime locupletata est, reprasentantur : ad norman prototypi Londinensis edita curris Hommannianorum Heredum C.P.S.C.M
1 : 5280 Homann Erben (Firm) Homaennischen Erben
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1759
This pocket map of London is reminiscent of Henry Overton's map of 1731.The title and scale bar appear at top left, fares of hackney coaches feature at top and middle right, and fares of water ferries at bottom centre. A note on distances, churches and public buildings is included at bottom right with the city boundaries outlined in colour. Robert Whity, who issued this map in 1759, added a sheet to include the development north of Oxford Street in the estate of Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, where Cavendish Square was at the centre of a new residential district being built by Edward Harley, the duke’s son-in-law. Whity, Robert
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year 1767.
The title of this map of Georgian London features along the top. Rates of hackney coaches are noted at top- and middle-right, with rates of water ferries at bottom centre. A member of the Joiners Livery Company, Carrington Bowles continued the family printing and publishing business started by his father, John, and uncle, Thomas. Bowles, Carington
A Correct PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the BILLS of MORTALITY, with the ADDITIONAL BUILDINGS 118
This map of London was published as supplement to Volume 30 of the 'London Magazine' in 1761. Attributed to John Rocque, the map's title features in a panel below the plan, with the publisher’s imprint along the top. [Rocque, John]
London &c., accurately surveyed by Wm Morgan, His Majesty Cosmographer
This is a later edition of the map of London and the built up area around it first issued by Morgan in 1681-82. The title of the map is missing. Also missing are the views of the equestrian statues of Charles I and II, prominent buildings and prospect of the City that accompanied the map. The map features scale bar and compass rose near bottom centre and reference tables with key to buildings in London, Westminster and Southwark along the bottom. Down the left is a list of officers of State and dignitaries and down the right is a list of City companies, Irish nobility and the clergy. Morgan, William
THE CITY GUIDE OR POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK with the New Buildings to this Present Year 1764
This pocket map of London based on Rocque's map of 1748.Thetitle appears along the top, with the built-up area in the City of London described by stippling, and other built-up areas by crosshatching. The city boundaries are outlined in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridge at Blackfriars, but not the approaches. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge to span the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland-stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by Cubitt and Carr’s present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast iron and a granite pier.
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
A NEW and Correct PLAN OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK with the COUNTRY adjacent, the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &c. to the Year 1766
The title of this map runs along the top of the plan, which shows the new bridge at Blackfriars as "Pitt's Bridge". Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced in a hundred years later by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches faced with cast-iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Gibson, John
London & c., accurately Surveyed, an accurate Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster and the Borough of Southwark, 1732
This is a later edition of the map of London first issued by Morden and Lea in 1681-82. Printed in 12 sheets, the map features title in banner along the top, portraits of King William and Queen Mary below the title, with the Royal and City arms. Reference tables, compass rose and scale bar at lower right. Along the top of the map are views of Westminster Abbey, the Banqueting Hall, Somerset House, the Mercers' Chapel, the Royal Exchange, Guild Hall and St Paul's Cathedral, with equestrian statues of Charles I and Charles II at top left and right respectively. The map shows Wigmore Street, Grosvenor Square and the Church of St Anne, Limehouse which did not feature in earlier editions of the map. Morden, Robert and Lea, Philip
An IMPROVED PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &C. to the Present Year 1765.
The title of this pocket map appears along the top, with built-up areas represented by stippling in the City of London, and crosshatching elsewhere. A table of reference appears in a panel below the plan. The map, a later edition of Kitching and Parker's 1765 plan, shows the new bridge and the approaches at Blackfriars. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches each faced with cast iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Kitching, Thomas and Parker, Henry
THE CITY GUIDE OR POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER And SOUTHWARK With the New Buildings to the Year 1765 125
The title of this pocket map runs along the top, with the publisher's imprint below the plan. Built-up areas in the City of London are represented by stippling, and by crosshatching outside the city. The map is a later edition Bowles' 1761 plan, with the addition of Queen Anne's Square and Portman Square in Marylebone and the new bridge and approaches at Blackfriars. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland-stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches, each faced with cast iron, and a granite pier designed by Carr and Cubbitt. Bayly, J.