A Plan of te Parish of ST MARY ISLINGTON, with the boundaries of the Several Ecclesiastical Districts, Sueveyed by R. Creighton for the Parochial History, BY S. LEWIS, JUNR.
1 : 15840 Plan of the parish of St Mary's Islington, with the nine ecclesiastical districts that make up the parish delineated by pastel colours. Dower, John, Pentonville.
Insurance Plan of London North North West District Vol. D: Key Plan
1 : 10560 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1892 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
Stratford - Le - Bow
1 : 21120 This plan of north east London extends from the Isle of Dogs and Wapping at the bottom, to 'Layton Stone' and Epping Forest at the top. Field boundaries infilled with stripes depict tilled land. Major settlements are drawn in red ink. North of Stoke Newington, to the top left, a road is plotted as a series of fixed points pricked off with dividers and joined by ruled pencil lines. These protractions were made directly from the Ordnance Survey field books. Pencil rays intersect across the map, evidence of measurements taken by the surveyor between fixed triangulation points. Poplar Gut is outlined in red at the Isle of Dogs, the beginnings of the development of the West India Docks.
Detail from OSD 152 (Hampstead)
1 : 31680 The individual settlements that make up this area of London are shown by red blocks, with boundary lines indicating the fields separating them. Shading and soft interlining indicate relief, neatly illustrated at Primrose Hill, the summit of which is left bare. The barracks at the edge of Hyde Park are illustrated at the very bottom of the map. The dark blue-black line running from West Drayton to Brentford and Paddington is the Grand Junction Canal. This was London's principal link to the rest of Britain's canals, allowing the passage of goods to and from the industrial towns of the North and Midlands. Hyett includes a ground plan of Kenwood House in Hampstead, showing a level of detail much greater than might be expected from a map with a scale of two inches-to-the-mile. Hyett, William
LONDON Drawn and engraved expressly for the POST OFFICE DIRECTORY
Map of London published by Benjamin Rees Davies for the Post Office Directory with title and scale bar in table at top right. The London post codes W, N, N.E., E, S.E., S and S.W. are indicated. Davies, Benjamin Rees
KAART van LONDEN enz en van het NABY GELEGEN LAND ruim een Uur gaans. rondsom dezelve Stad; getrokken uit de groote gemeeten Kaart van de Hr. JOHN ROCQUE, Te AMSTERDAM by ISAAK TIRION 1754
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map of the area ten miles round the City of London was published in Amsterdam by Isaak Tirion. Based on John Rocque's survey of 1744, the map’s title, imprint and key appears in a table at top left. The scale bars are in a panel below the plan. Built-up areas are stippled in the City and hatched elsewhere. Tirion, Isaak
This map of London was produced for the 1832 Reform Bill that established the metropolitan boroughs. The map's title features along the top; with a compass star at top right, an explanatory note at bottom right. At bottom left is a list of the 'liberties' of the city - the name given to areas exempt from the jurisdiction of the country sheriff, being subject to a separate commission of the peace (in this case royal and governmental authorities). The new boroughs are highlighted in colour, with the shaded area representing the old boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark. Dawson, Lieut. Robert K.
LONDON AND ITS ENVIRONS LEVELS TAKEN BY ORDER OF THE COMMISSIONERS OF SEWERS
The cholera outbreaks of the 1830s and 1840s forced the government to make drastic improvements to the methods of drainage and sewage disposal in London. A Metropolitan Commission of Sewers was charged with the central task of unifying the existing piecemeal drainage system and forming a plan for a completely new one. A new map showing the levels of the land to be drained was needed for this. In March 1848, officers of the Royal Engineers began to prepare stations for triangulation. Observation posts were set up on one of the towers of Westminster Abbey and over the cross of St Paul's. This map is the result of the survey, showing the relative altitude of the land, a necessary preamble to planning drainage systems, as sewage can only be washed away downhill. Wyld, James