LONDON AND ITS ENVIRONS LEVELS TAKEN BY ORDER OF THE COMMISSIONERS OF SEWERS
The cholera outbreaks of the 1830s and 1840s forced the government to make drastic improvements to the methods of drainage and sewage disposal in London. A Metropolitan Commission of Sewers was charged with the central task of unifying the existing piecemeal drainage system and forming a plan for a completely new one. A new map showing the levels of the land to be drained was needed for this. In March 1848, officers of the Royal Engineers began to prepare stations for triangulation. Observation posts were set up on one of the towers of Westminster Abbey and over the cross of St Paul's. This map is the result of the survey, showing the relative altitude of the land, a necessary preamble to planning drainage systems, as sewage can only be washed away downhill. Wyld, James
JURISDICTION OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE
This map illustrates plans for the reform of the jurisdiction of Metropolitan Police. Based on Dawson's map of 1832, the map’s title appear along the top, with compass star at top right, explanatory note at bottom left, and a scale bar at bottom right. District boundaries are highlighted in colour, with the old limits of London, Westminster and Southwark shaded. Formed in 1829, the Metropolitan Police had its jurisdiction extended in 1839to Greater London - an area taken to mean all parishes partly within twelve miles of Charing Cross or wholly within fifteen miles of Charing Cross. In the same year, the City of London formed its own police force. Dawson, Lieut. Robert K.
Plan of a Proposed TURNPIKE ROAD From St. JOHN'S CHAPEL, ST. MARYLEBONE into the Great North Road Near the 8 Mile Stone at Finchley
1 : 31680 Plan of the proposed turnpike road from Regent's Park to Finchley, today's Finchley Road. The plan features title at top right, scale bars at lower right and sections of the road in elevation at the foot of the plate, with the new road represented by a double dotted line coloured red. Down the left of the plate a table gives distances between stations along the road and shows the savings in milage generated by the new road. Phillips, Henry
LONDON Drawn and engraved expressly for the POST OFFICE DIRECTORY
Map of London published by Benjamin Rees Davies for the Post Office Directory with title and scale bar in table at top right. The London post codes W, N, N.E., E, S.E., S and S.W. are indicated. Davies, Benjamin Rees
This map of London was produced for the 1832 Reform Bill that established the metropolitan boroughs. The map's title features along the top; with a compass star at top right, an explanatory note at bottom right. At bottom left is a list of the 'liberties' of the city - the name given to areas exempt from the jurisdiction of the country sheriff, being subject to a separate commission of the peace (in this case royal and governmental authorities). The new boroughs are highlighted in colour, with the shaded area representing the old boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark. Dawson, Lieut. Robert K.
KAART van LONDEN enz en van het NABY GELEGEN LAND ruim een Uur gaans. rondsom dezelve Stad; getrokken uit de groote gemeeten Kaart van de Hr. JOHN ROCQUE, Te AMSTERDAM by ISAAK TIRION 1754
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map of the area ten miles round the City of London was published in Amsterdam by Isaak Tirion. Based on John Rocque's survey of 1744, the map’s title, imprint and key appears in a table at top left. The scale bars are in a panel below the plan. Built-up areas are stippled in the City and hatched elsewhere. Tirion, Isaak
NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND THE ENVIRONS from an Original Survey EXTENDING 6 3/4 Miles North & South in which all New and Intended Buildings and Improvements are carefully Inserted
This folding map is set within a decorative border. The title and imprint feature at top right, the compass star at middle right, and scale bar at bottom left. The river, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. This is the fourth edition of a map first issued by Thompson in 1823, updated with the addition of St. Katherine's Dock and the housing developments in the Marylebone and Mile End areas. Thompson, George