A MAPP of the Parish of St MARGARETS Westminster taken from the last Survey with Corrections 7A
1 : 3692 This is John Strype's first edition of Stow's survey. John Stow was a retired sailor who dedicated his retirement to gathering information from records and residents of the Georgian city.The survey extended to include London and Westminster in their entirety, capturing London between Restoration and 18th-century developments.The land on Mill Bank is denoted "Marshy Ground". Renowned for its unhealthy damp atmosphere,it would become the site of the infamous Millbank Penitentiary, and later Tate Britain. Above this a "New Church" is in the process of completion. This would become St John's. Although the survey proved popular, Stow died in poverty at the age of 80, having been granted licence to beg by James I. Stow, John
Sketch of the Procession Usually Observed in the Coronation of our KINGS & QUEENS together with a PLAN pointing out Several new Paths and their Parts Adjacent
A sketch of individuals and their order in the coronation procession is featured at the top of the page.60 years as king, George III's was the second longest reign in British history. He was third Hanoverian monarch, but the first to be born in England and use English as his first language. His reign was curtailed by periodic bouts of mental instability,which many contemporary commentators ascribed to the strain of the American conflict,but was more likely caused by the hereditary physical disorder called porphyria. He was a cultured monarch who donated to the nation a royal collection of books as the nucleus of a national library, now held in the King's Tower;in the British Library.
The PARISH of ST. JAMES'S, Westminster, taken from the last Survey with Corrections 3
1 : 11076 This plan was taken from Strype's first annotated edition of Stow's "Survey of England". The plan's title features in cartouche at the top of the plate, with keys to streets, yards, inns, halls and other landmarks in tables at top left and bottom right.The scale bar is also at bottom right. Additions made by Strype that did not feature in earlier editions of the plan include the housing developments in Soho and neighbouring St Martin's (replacing open fields and an extended table of reference). Blome, Richard
The PARISH of ST. JAMES'S, Westminster, taken from the last Survey with Corrections 2
1 : 11076 This plan is taken from the first edition of Stow's "Survey of England".The plan's title features in a banner at the top centre, with a key to streets, yards, halls, courts and private properties at the top left.Land use and natural features described by symbols and three-dimensional illustrations.St James's Square was laid out in 1662 when Henry Jermyn, Earl of St Albans, obtained a grant of land on the outskirts of London.In 1674, Christopher Wren was appointed architect of the parish church. Blome, Richard
A PLAN of the Streets in the united Parishes of ST. MARGARET & ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST, Westminster. From a Survey made by I.H. Taylor. No. 22 PARLIAMENT STREET 1828.
Plan of the parishes of St Margaret's, outlined in blue line, and St James', delineated in pink, Westminster. A thin red line shows the boundary of the Tothill Fields District. The large 6-petal structure depicted at lower left is Millbank Penitentiary, built in response to requests for prison reform and finally completed in 1821. Taylor, J. H.
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan
1 : 4800 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
ST. GEORGE'S PARISH, HANOVER SQUARE.
1 : 8448 This plan of the Parish of St George is surrounded by views of St George's church, Knightsbridge chapel, Conduit Street chapel, Chelsea chapel, Audley Street chapel and Berkeley chapel, the whole set within a decorative border. The title and imprint appear at the foot of the plate. The Parish of St George was created in 1725 and covered an area previously in the Parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields that stretched from Regent Street (then called Swallow Street) to the Serpentine, and from Oxford Street to Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. Bickham, J.
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336 This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate. Overton, Henry
NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520 The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water. Rocque, John
FORD'S ILLUSTRATED MEMORIAL OF THE GRAND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION OF ALL NATIONS, HYDE PARK, LONDON 1851
This pictorial map commemorates the Great Exhibition of 1851, conceived by Henry Cole and presided over by Prince Albert. Theexhibition was held in the Crystal Palace. Designed by Joseph Paxton, it showcased exhibits from all over the world, including the largest pearl ever found, a knife with 300 blades, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond. The exhibition was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851. She remained a frequent visitor, as did the Duke of Wellington. Only main roads in the capital are shown on this map and London locations are marked by small medallions containing scenes. Borders of roundels contain people from "all nations". Queen Victoria and Albert flank a view of the Crystal Palace, which was removed from Hyde Park in 1852andrebuilt at Sydenham. Simpson Ford, William