1 : 31680
This part of Warwickshire is dominated by enclosed land, characterised by regular hedgerows and fish ponds for watering stock. A section of the Oxford Canal, between Napton and Croperdy, is depicted in blue along the right side of the sheet. Completed in 1790, the canal was used to ferry coal from the north to Oxford. At top left, forming the boundary of the surveyed area, is the Fosse Way. This Roman road ran from Exeter to Lincoln via Bath, Cirencester and Leicester (where it intersected the Watling Street from London). At lower right, the county border between Warwickshire and Northamptonshire is indicated by a red dotted line.
1 : 31680
Daventry is at lower right in this plan of part of Northamptonshire, situated near large canal-feeder reservoirs. Turnpike roads are highlighted in buff throughout the area. The money raised by such toll roads, established during the coaching era of the 18th century, raised money that contributed significantly to the development of the transport infrastructure of the county. Transport links in this area were further developed by the opening of the Oxford, Warwick and Grand Junction canals (highlighted in blue), which allowed new settlements and trades to flourish.