Fragment of map of Chittagong (Bengal), 23 January, 1818, by John Cheape, Bengal Engineers.
Pen-and-ink and water-colour fragment of a map of Chittagong by John Cheape(1792-1875) in 1818. Chittagong, located in Bangladesh at the point where the Karnaphuli River empties into the Bay of Bengal, is a significant port and has been used for centuries by Arakanese, Arab, Persian, Portuguese and Mughal sailors. Under the Portuguese in the 16th century the town was known as Porto Grande and became an important trading centre. It was captured by the Nawab of Bengal in 1666 and fell to the East India Company in 1760; 60 years later it was claimed by the emperor of Burma (now known as Myanmar) and this led to conflict between Burma and the United Kingdom in 1824. After Independence in 1947 Chittagong was part of East Pakistan but became part of the new nation of Bangladesh in 1971. Today Chittagong is the second largest city in Bangladesh, an important commercial centre and the site of a steel mill and oil refinery. Cheape, John (1792-1875), Artist
Map of Calcutta with pictorial insets
Engraved map with pictorial inserts of Calcutta in West Bengal by an unknown engraver published in 1842 under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Calcutta was founded by Job Charnock in 1690. Thanks to its position on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, Calcutta soon became the largest port in the region. The city was also known as 'The City of Palaces', due to the impressive array of public buildings along Esplanade Row and Chowringhee Road. The three pictorial inserts along the bottom edge of the map show Writers' Buildings, Government House and Esplanade Row. The Writer's Building is located on the north side of Tank Square, later Dalhousie Square and now BBD Bagh. It was built as the headquarters of the East India Company by Thomas Lyon in 1777. In front of the building is the monument erected by John Zephaniah Holwell to the memory of the survivors of the 'Black Hole' of 1756. Marquess Wellesley commissioned the building of the new Government House on his appointment to Governor-General in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Engineers, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. 'This view shows the southern facade. There is a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre and two projecting wings either side. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan, the open space in which the new Fort William was built in 1757. By the close of the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row was the location of numerous public buildings. The new Government House is shown on the right.
Gold, copper and lead in Chota Nagpore
This is the map contained within the 176-page volume Gold, copper and lead in Chota Nagpore and the adjacent country, compiled by W. King and T.A. Pope and published in Calcutta. King, W., F.G.S. (William) Calcutta : Thacker, Spink