Map of the Orissa coast showing the Jagannath and Konarak temples
Watercolour map of the Orissa coast showing the Jagannatha and Konarak temples, by an anonymous artist working in the British school, part of the MacKenzie Collection, dated 1820. Orissa is situated on the eastern seaboard of India, south of Bengal. It is protected by the thickly forested mountains of the Eastern Ghats to the west and is open to the Bay of Bengal to the east. The coastal plains have the highest concentration of historical monuments while along the interior there is a tract of nearly-impenetrable hill country. The map shows two of the most famous temple sites, Puri and Konarak. Puri is one of the cardinal centres of pilgrimage for Hinduism and is the principal centre of the cult of Krishna in his form of Jagannatha, the Lord of the Universe. The Jagannatha temple was founded in the 12th Century by Anantavarman Chodaganga (r.1077-1147), ruler of the Eastern Ganga dynasty. The Rath Yatra (car festival) is the largest annual festival in Puri when the images of Jagannatha, his brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra are placed in large chariots (raths) and are paraded about the town to symbolise the journey of Krishna from Gokul to Mathura. The great Sun Temple of Konarak stands on the Bay of Bengal, where thousands of pilgrims still come to bathe in the water during the spring festival to celebrate the birth of the Vedic sun god, Surya. The temple was constructed by Narashimhadev, king of the Eastern Ganga dynasty in the 13th century. Conceived as a gigantic chariot with twelve pairs of carved wheels, this temple is an architectural feat for the Orissan style.
Fragment of map of Chittagong (Bengal), 23 January, 1818, by John Cheape, Bengal Engineers.
Pen-and-ink and water-colour fragment of a map of Chittagong by John Cheape(1792-1875) in 1818. Chittagong, located in Bangladesh at the point where the Karnaphuli River empties into the Bay of Bengal, is a significant port and has been used for centuries by Arakanese, Arab, Persian, Portuguese and Mughal sailors. Under the Portuguese in the 16th century the town was known as Porto Grande and became an important trading centre. It was captured by the Nawab of Bengal in 1666 and fell to the East India Company in 1760; 60 years later it was claimed by the emperor of Burma (now known as Myanmar) and this led to conflict between Burma and the United Kingdom in 1824. After Independence in 1947 Chittagong was part of East Pakistan but became part of the new nation of Bangladesh in 1971. Today Chittagong is the second largest city in Bangladesh, an important commercial centre and the site of a steel mill and oil refinery. Cheape, John (1792-1875), Artist
Map of Calcutta with pictorial insets
Engraved map with pictorial inserts of Calcutta in West Bengal by an unknown engraver published in 1842 under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Calcutta was founded by Job Charnock in 1690. Thanks to its position on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, Calcutta soon became the largest port in the region. The city was also known as 'The City of Palaces', due to the impressive array of public buildings along Esplanade Row and Chowringhee Road. The three pictorial inserts along the bottom edge of the map show Writers' Buildings, Government House and Esplanade Row. The Writer's Building is located on the north side of Tank Square, later Dalhousie Square and now BBD Bagh. It was built as the headquarters of the East India Company by Thomas Lyon in 1777. In front of the building is the monument erected by John Zephaniah Holwell to the memory of the survivors of the 'Black Hole' of 1756. Marquess Wellesley commissioned the building of the new Government House on his appointment to Governor-General in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Engineers, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. 'This view shows the southern facade. There is a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre and two projecting wings either side. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan, the open space in which the new Fort William was built in 1757. By the close of the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row was the location of numerous public buildings. The new Government House is shown on the right.