Gold, copper and lead in Chota Nagpore
This is the map contained within the 176-page volume Gold, copper and lead in Chota Nagpore and the adjacent country, compiled by W. King and T.A. Pope and published in Calcutta. King, W., F.G.S. (William) Calcutta : Thacker, Spink
Map of Calcutta with pictorial insets
Engraved map with pictorial inserts of Calcutta in West Bengal by an unknown engraver published in 1842 under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Calcutta was founded by Job Charnock in 1690. Thanks to its position on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges, Calcutta soon became the largest port in the region. The city was also known as 'The City of Palaces', due to the impressive array of public buildings along Esplanade Row and Chowringhee Road. The three pictorial inserts along the bottom edge of the map show Writers' Buildings, Government House and Esplanade Row. The Writer's Building is located on the north side of Tank Square, later Dalhousie Square and now BBD Bagh. It was built as the headquarters of the East India Company by Thomas Lyon in 1777. In front of the building is the monument erected by John Zephaniah Holwell to the memory of the survivors of the 'Black Hole' of 1756. Marquess Wellesley commissioned the building of the new Government House on his appointment to Governor-General in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt of the Engineers, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. 'This view shows the southern facade. There is a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre and two projecting wings either side. Esplanade Row runs east-west to the north of the Maidan, the open space in which the new Fort William was built in 1757. By the close of the eighteenth century, Esplanade Row was the location of numerous public buildings. The new Government House is shown on the right.
Nos. 8-10. Palamow Fort, Agowry Fort, Ancient Hindoo Temples at Marra in Singrowla. From a series of plans of forts and passes on the W. border of Bihar, copied from the original by Lieut Robert Smith
Pen-and-ink and water-colour plans of the forts at Agori and Palamau and of Hindu Temples at Marra after Robert Smith (1787-1873), c.1813. This is one of six plans of forts and passes on the west border of Bihar. Inscribed on the front of the folder in ink is: 'Plans of Forts & Passes on the South West Frontier of Bengal. Copied from the Original by Lieut. Robt. Smith of the Engineers.' There are two large forts at Palamau said to have been built by the Adivasi kings of the Chero dynasty. Construction of the forts was begun by Raja Medhni Raj, the ruler of Chotanagpur, however they were completed by his son Pratap Raj while Medhni Raj was engaged with repelling invaders. The main fort has three main defences, the largest of which is named Singh Dwar or Lion Gate. The Nagpuri Gate bears two inscriptions in Sanskrit and Persian. Smith, Robert (1787-1873), Artist
Map of the Orissa coast showing the Jagannath and Konarak temples
Watercolour map of the Orissa coast showing the Jagannatha and Konarak temples, by an anonymous artist working in the British school, part of the MacKenzie Collection, dated 1820. Orissa is situated on the eastern seaboard of India, south of Bengal. It is protected by the thickly forested mountains of the Eastern Ghats to the west and is open to the Bay of Bengal to the east. The coastal plains have the highest concentration of historical monuments while along the interior there is a tract of nearly-impenetrable hill country. The map shows two of the most famous temple sites, Puri and Konarak. Puri is one of the cardinal centres of pilgrimage for Hinduism and is the principal centre of the cult of Krishna in his form of Jagannatha, the Lord of the Universe. The Jagannatha temple was founded in the 12th Century by Anantavarman Chodaganga (r.1077-1147), ruler of the Eastern Ganga dynasty. The Rath Yatra (car festival) is the largest annual festival in Puri when the images of Jagannatha, his brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra are placed in large chariots (raths) and are paraded about the town to symbolise the journey of Krishna from Gokul to Mathura. The great Sun Temple of Konarak stands on the Bay of Bengal, where thousands of pilgrims still come to bathe in the water during the spring festival to celebrate the birth of the Vedic sun god, Surya. The temple was constructed by Narashimhadev, king of the Eastern Ganga dynasty in the 13th century. Conceived as a gigantic chariot with twelve pairs of carved wheels, this temple is an architectural feat for the Orissan style.