Observation stations outside the boundaries of the landmass are indicated by red dots within pencil circles., These stations were used,to plot prominent features of an area being mapped -,such as church spires - in order to construct a grid., A red line thus -..-..-..- indicates the boundary between counties Somerset and Dorset., On the back of the manuscript is a note confirming T Budgen as draughtsman. Budgen, Thomas
This drawing delineates the county borders of Dorset and Somerset with a red pecked line. Pillesdon Pen, a hillfort, is indicated by concentric rings to the left of the plan, although it did not become obligatory to record archaeological sites until 1816. The fort's position, 909 ft above sea level, is depicted by dark shading and brushwork interlining ('hachuring'). The summits of hills in this undulating countryside are left bare.
Dark brushwork makes much of this drawing difficult to interpret. The map covers a section of the south English coast, clearly distinguishing rocks, sand and marshland clearly. A military battery is noted at Seaton, part of the large defence system in the area. Major lines of communication are coloured yellow, following standard military cartographic convention. Searle, Robert
1 : 31680 Extending down to the coast at Lyme, this strip map covers the county boundaries of Devonshire, Dorset and Somerset. The borders are indicated by lines of red dots and dashes. Roads forming the main lines of communication are coloured yellow/buff, conforming to military cartographic conventions. Lambert Castle, an iron-age hillfort, is marked in the middle left of the map.