There were no definitive guidelines in the early 1800s for recording relief, so each draughtsman differs in his representation. Contour lines were not introduced until 1839-40. Here, Budgen uses dense clusters of short, dark strokes ('hachures') to indicate relief. Although the recording of archaeological sites did not become obligatory until 1816, he also illustrates a Roman road, running diagonally upwards from the lower left of the map, noting its local name: 'Devil's Bank'. Budgen, Charles
1 : 31680 This is a rough plot, or field sketch, of the chalk hills to the south of Basingstoke, part of Hampshire's North Downs. Buildings appear infilled and blocked in red ink at the settlements of Bighton and Chawton, at the bottom of the plan, and in black ink, at Bentworth, above Chawton. The map is drawn on an irregularly cut sheet that is pieced together with detail extending over the joins. The paper carries the watermark '1794.'
Bishop's Waltham, Southampton
This drawing was completed in 1806. The detail with which it records the road network is greater than in previous maps - testimony to the Ordnance Survey's urgency and military intent. The Roman road from Winchester to Old Sarum is marked running from the top left of the map, with smaller sections of the road shown in the Chilworth area. The origin and terminus of these roads are also noted. A line with a circle at each end leads from the margins of the map to Morstead. This line was used to plot locations and landmarks. Several "Ancient Entrenchments" are marked, notably an iron-age hillfort near Winchester called St. Catherine's Hill. The fort is indicated by concentric rings of dark, cross-hatched strokes ('hachures'). Week Turnpike Gate is marked on the road between Week and Winchester. The recording of a dog kennel above Little Sombourne and bathing houses on the coast between Southampton and Redbridge reveal the meticulousness of the Survey, and perhaps too the interests of the draughtsman. Crocker, Edmund
This drawing describes the borders of the counties of Berkshire, Hampshire and Wiltshire. Their boundaries are marked by red pecked lines, as a note at the base of the drawing explains. The draughtsman has detailed the star-shaped path formation of Savernake Forest, a great royal hunting forest, and recorded the Roman road between Marton and Titcombe. Chisbury, an iron-age hillfort, is marked by concentric rings to the right of Savernake Forest, although the recording of archaeological features did not become obligatory until 1816. To the left of Shalbourne, a windmill is shown in elevation.