Launceston, Cornwall 1
Once the capital of Cornwall, Launceston is represented here by red blocks, each indicating a stone building., The castle dates from Norman times and was one of the greatest strongholds of the Earls of Cornwall, controlling the main entry route into the county., The road leading to Trevadlack Cross is physically,marked on the map,by a series of pin-holes., This means the draughtsman used measuring dividers to plot the exact course of the road., Recording archaeological sites did not become obligatory until 1816, but,many draughtsmen included them before then,out of personal interest., Here,,a set of concentric circles at the top of the map represents such a site, called,'Giant's Grave'.,
Camelford, Cornwall (002OSD000000001U00009000)
Royal Military Draughtsmen and Surveyors were listed as first-class or second-class by the Tower of London Drawing Room according to the quality of their work. Robert Dawson, the draughtsman of this map, was an influential teacher at the Tower and rated first-class, while Henry Stevens, the surveyor, was rated only second-class.The orientation of this map does not have north at the top. Hence, the coastal boundary from Widemouth Bay south to Tintagel Castle runs from left to right along the bottom of the drawing. A faded blue-green wash indicates water. Brown Willy, the highest point in Cornwall, is shown on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor to the top right of the inland boundary. A turnpike road, coloured ochre yellow, runs from Launceston to Camelford. One side of the road is thickened and miles appear alongside in figures. The close attention given to communication routes highlights the military intent of these studies. At the same time, archaeological features and antiquities are also noted, reflecting the particular interests of individual surveyors or draughtsmen. In this instance, manganese mines are marked.
Pencil annotations on the bottom right of the map give the surveyors name and the drawing's date and scale. A red dashed line denotes the border of Devon and Cornwall, running partly along the course of the River Tamer. Pencil rays intersect across the plan, evidence of triangulation measurements taken by the surveyor. Although it did not become obligatory to include archaeological details until 1816, prehistoric defensive earthworks are noted at Warbstow Barrow . A windmill is shown in elevation at Holsworthy.