Plan of Magdalen Bridge and the streets of Oxford
"Plan of Magdalen Bridge as at present with parts adjacent", being the original design for removal of the east gate and for forming a new road to St Clements. Magdalen Bridge, which crossed the River Charwell,was designed by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury (1713-1786) Surveyor to the Commissioners of the Oxford Paving Act. It was built between 1772 and 1782. Gwynn was a largely self taught architect and surveyor and he worked on Christopher Wren’s plan for rebuilding St Paul’s Cathedral, many public buildings in Oxford such as the workhouse and covered market and a bridge across the River Severn in Shrewsbury. Magdalen bridge became a focal point for Oxford town and every year May Day celebrations are held there- Choristers traditionally sing from the Tower of Magdalen College, which is located at one end of the bridge.
Plan of and] Elevation of East Front next the Center Avenue of the new Market Oxford
Plan of the new market of Oxford and a elevation of its east front. A handwritten and signed note on this drawing explains "2nd Oct 1773 the Plan & Elevation referred to by certain articles of agreement executed this Day between us". This agreement was between the Corporation and the builder.The names are Fran. Randolph, Wm. Wickham, Rich. Fawney, R. Kirby, John Phillipe, Phip. Ward, Edwd. Fawney, Wm. Green.