LONDON AT ONE VIEW: A NEW MAP
Map of London with title along the top, scale bar at top left and statistical note below the map. Down both sides of the map are views of London prominent buildings and landmarks. Nelson Column, Westminster Hall, Horse Guard, Buckingham Palace and Burlington Arcade are depicted down the left of the map and the Monument, St Paul's Cathedral, Guildhall, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar and the Thames Tunnel down the right.
This untitled map of London features scale bar at top left. The city boundary is marked in red, with open land, such as parks and gardens, in green, and the Thames, docks and canals in blue. The map clearly labels the contemporary development of the railway lines, with the Birmingham railway shown intersecting the Regent's Canal at Camden Town. The canal, enthusiastically promoted by architect John Nash, was built to facilitate the import of goods from the provinces. Constructed at the beginning of the era of sustained railway development, however, it never fulfilled its potential and became obsolete.
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent
John Cary was possibly the most productive English map maker and publisher of the18th Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each edition by showing new developments. This is the third edition of a map first published in 1787. The developments in Somers Town are shown; the Lambeth and London roads are named. The numerous parks and gardens across the city are coloured green. The map is divided into squares, numbered for reference.
This map of Victorian London was published in the 'Weekly Dispatch' newspaper of 1756. Its title appears at top right, along with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar. Based on Davies's map of 1847, the map shows London railway termini, the South Western, West London and North Kent lines, and all post-receiving houses and pillars.
Cassell, Petter & Calpin
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton.
Davies, Benjamin Rees
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank.
CROSS'S LONDON GUIDE
This is the second edition of Cross's London Guide, originally published in 1837 and issued four times. The cover title of this edition is 'CROSS'S POCKET PLAN OF LONDON AND STREET DIRECTORY 1844'. Its principal interest lies in its detailing of the expansion of the railways. London's first railway was opened in 1836, running between Bermondsey and Deptford, reducing the average travelling time from an hour to eight minutes. This line was extended to Greenwich and London Bridge, with the extension recorded on the map. By 1841 there were six terminal stations in London, with railways linking London with Birmingham and Southampton. These terminals were set at a distance from the centre of the city, due to fears of street congestion. This map shows the Great Western, Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall, Southampton and Croydon railways. The intended position of Hungerford Bridge is also shown.
NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
This is a later edition of the map of London, Westminster and Southwark first issued by Gardner in 1827. The map is enclosed in a border and features title along the top, key and scale bar along the bottom, with borough boundaries, open spaces and water courses and main roads in colour. Additions to earlier editions of the map include the Great Western, London and Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall and Croydon railways.
PIGOT & Co New Plan of London Taken from the Best Authorities
The title and publisher's imprint of this map appear at the top right, facing an explanatory note at top left. Squares, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. A key to colours is provided at the bottom left. Published in Pigot's 'Metropolis Guide and Book of Reference', the map is divided into circles numbered for reference, showing Waterloo, Vauxhall and Battersea Bridges.
THE CIRCUITEER. A SERIES OF DISTANCE MAPS FOR ALL THE PRINCIPAL TOWNS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. INVENTED BY J. FREDERICHS AS A GUIDE FOR ASCERTAINING CAB FARES, PORTERAGE &c. &c.
The title of this map of Victorian London appears at top centre, with a scale bar at the foot of the plate. The map is divided into circles, each a half-mile in diameter, allowing the reader to ascertain the distance between two places at a glance. Each circle is also numbered for reference, with a key to the principal streets and squares a in panel below the map, together with an explanatory note. Repeated in French and German, this note reports London cab fares, set by Act of Parliament at 8d (pence) per mile and 4d for every additional half mile.
LONDON IN MINIATURE WITH THE Surrounding AN ENTIRE NEW PLAN In which the Improvements both present and intended are actually reduced (by permission) from the surveys of Several Proprietors
The title of this map appears at top right, with scale bar at the bottom centre, and a compass rose near top left. Watercourses, roads and open spaces are depicted in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridges at Waterloo and Vauxhall, extending eastward on an added sheet to include the Isle of Dogs.
LAURIE and WHITTLE NEW MAP OF LONDON WITH ITS ENVIRONS &C. Including the Recent Improvements
The title of this map of London and suburbs appears at top left, with the key to symbols and abbreviations at the top right and a compass rose at the bottom centre. The map is divided into mile squares with borders marked off in furlongs for reference. Squares, open spaces and city boundaries are distinguished in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued in 1804, updated to include the new bridges and the approaches at Waterloo and Vauxhall (indicated by dotted lines). Built between 1809 and 1819, Vauxhall, Waterloo and Southwark bridges were projected, funded and constructed by private commercial companies hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic from Lambeth, Camberwell and the rest of south London.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
CROSS'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON 1828
The title of this folding map is inset in the top border, with the publisher's imprint and explanatory notes in the bottom border and a list of parishes in a table at top right. The map is divided into half-mile squares for reference, with the river, open spaces and the boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark highlighted in different colours.