A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death. Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777. UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK, Accurately delineated from the latest Surveys,
John Cary was possibly the most productive maker and publisher of maps in England the 18 Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each new edition by including new developments. This is the second edition of a map originally published in 1782. The imprint and table of Hackney coach fares (referred to in the description) has been removed from the bottom of the map. Cary, John
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years. Cary, John
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON with the Names of the Streets Alphabetically arranged at Bottom with directions to find them in the Map
The title of this map appears along the top and with the river, city boundaries and open spaces depicted in different colours. The map is divided into numbered squares for reference, with a key in the table below the plan. Samuel Fores, better known as a publisher of sporting prints, first issued this map in 1789; this is a later edition, updated to include the housing developments of Sommers Town and St. George's Field. Fores, Samuel W.
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map. Faden, William
LONDON extending from the HEAD of the PADDINGTON CANAL West to the WEST INDIA DOCKS EAST with the proposed improvements between the Royal exchange and Finsbury Square
As the19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations in general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This small map was published in David Hugson's' London, being an accurate history & description of the British Metropolis'. The map is divided into reference squares, featuring the title at top right, scale bar at the top left and a key in the table below the plan. Stratford, James
London &c., accurately surveyed by Wm Morgan, His Majesty Cosmographer
This is a later edition of the map of London and the built up area around it first issued by Morgan in 1681-82. The title of the map is missing. Also missing are the views of the equestrian statues of Charles I and II, prominent buildings and prospect of the City that accompanied the map. The map features scale bar and compass rose near bottom centre and reference tables with key to buildings in London, Westminster and Southwark along the bottom. Down the left is a list of officers of State and dignitaries and down the right is a list of City companies, Irish nobility and the clergy. Morgan, William
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood.
This magnificent map covers 32 sheets, each measuring 21" 5/8 x 19" 3/4. It was published sheet by sheet between 1792 and99 and was the work of several engravers under the direction of cartographer Richard Horwood. It is generally considered to be the most important London map of the 18th century. Horwood intended originally to show every house and its number but this was to prove impossible. Although every house is included the numbering was never completed. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. The map is coloured, describing parks in green and the London Wall in red. The Tower of London is shown only by outline; Horwood records that: 'The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey’, evidence that a surveyor was not always welcome. Southwark was traditionally a district where the industries of brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the main city, were located. Barclay Perkins & Cos., which in the coming century was to become the largest brewery in the world, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital ("for incurables") which at had recently been extended to include a new hospital for the psychiatrically disturbed. This map was reissued at least four times, with relevant additions and alterations, up until 1819. Horwood, Richard