This map is surveyed by Richard Blome, a heraldic writer and cartographer. Although prolific, he was something of a magpie, borrowing from many sources in the creation of his maps. Engraved by Hollar, this map is dedicated to Sir Robert Vyner, whose coat of arms is depicted at the bottom. The arms of the 12 Great City companies are drawn in the side margins. These companies were the trade guilds of London, many of which have existed from the middle ages to the present day.
Plan de Londres tel quil Etoit avant l' incendre de 1666 Grave par Hollar
This is a later edition of a 1666map surveyed by Blome and engraved by Hollar. The title appears in French in a panel below the plan, with the key to streets and public buildings appearing in tables at top right, top left and bottom right. A compass star and scale bar are drawn at bottom right. Down both sides of the map are the coats of arms of the 12 Great City Companies (trade guilds), many of which have existed from the middle ages to the present day. Richard Blome was a heraldic writer and cartographer. His maps were often derivative, based on existing sources rather than original surveys.
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 238
This map is set within a decorative border. Its title appears along the top, with the arms of the city, the royal family and Westminster. Around the margin are pictorial views of prominent buildings and landmarks, including the Bank of England, Lambeth Palace, Covent Garden and Waterloo Bridge. The map is a later edition of one first issued as a free supplement of the 'United Kingdom' newspaper in 1832, adding the Greenwich and Birmingham railway lines.
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 233
This map was issued as a free supplementin the 'United Kingdom' newspaper.Surrounded by a decorative border, the map's title appears in a panel above the plan, with the arms of London, the royal family and the City of Westminster.Inset within the border areillustrations of prominent buildings and landmarks, including the Bank of England, Lambeth Palace, Covent Garden and Waterloo Bridge. The map shows the intended tunnel under the Thames linking Wapping and RotherhitheWhen, the firstunderwater tunnel in the world when it opened in 1843.
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 243
This is a later edition of Shury's map of London first issued in 1832. The map features title along the top with the arms of the cities of London and Westminster. Down both sides of the map and along the bottom are 33 views of London buildings and landmarks. The East India House, Custom House, the Mint, St James's Palace, Christ's Hospital, the new Post Office, the bank of England, Hanover Terrace, the Corn Exchange and the Coliseum are depicted down the left side of the plate. Along the bottom are views of St Katherine's Chapel, Caledonian Church, mansion House, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar, Guild Hall, Buckingham Palace, St Paul's Cathedral, the Monument, St Bride's Church, Lambeth Palace, Westminster Abbey and the entrance to Green Park. Down the right side of the plate are views of the House of Lords, London Bridge, the House of Commons, Waterloo Bridge, Drury Lane Theatre, Horse Guard, the King's College, Covent Garden Theatre, Somerset House and Gloucester Terrace.
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY WITH ALL THE RAILROADS AND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PRESENT TIME
This map of Victorian London is set within a decorative border, featuring title and publisher's imprint in a panel above the plan, and views of the city's prominent buildings and landmarks along the margins. This is a later edition of the map first published by Shury in 1832, featuring new railway lines and a pictorial view of Crystal Palace, venue of the Great Exhibition of 1851.
NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
This is a later edition of the map of London, Westminster and Southwark first issued by Gardner in 1827. The map is enclosed in a border and features title along the top, key and scale bar along the bottom, with borough boundaries, open spaces and water courses and main roads in colour. Additions to earlier editions of the map include the Great Western, London and Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall and Croydon railways.
TEGG'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON, &c. WITH 360 REFERENCES TO THE PRINCIPAL STREETS &c.
The title of this folding map of London appears along the top. The city boundaries, open spaces, roads and watercourses are depicted in colour in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued by Tegg in 1823. It is divided into rectangles for reference, with a street index in panel below the plan.
A Mapp of the Cityies of LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BURROUGH of SOUTHWARK with their Suburbs and the Addition of the New Buildings
The title of this map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears along the top, with a reference table (flanked by sword and mace-bearer) at top left, a figure of Mercury (with the city arms on his shield) at top centre, and a second reference table below city arms at top right. The key to places in Southwark appear in a table at St. George's Fields, with compass star and scale bar at bottom centre and an allegorical figure of Father Thames at bottom right. John Oliver first issued this map in 1680.This is a later edition published and sold by John Bowles from his shop at the Black Horse in Cornhill.
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER 1795
This is the second edition of a map published seven times until 1806. The title is embellished with an engraving of Father Thames, with St Paul's visible in the distance to one side of him. This edition includes an inset plan of the proposed Wet Docks. In 1796, the year this map was published, a Parliamentary Committee attempted to resolve the docking problems such as congestion, delays, lack of warehouse space and theft. The result was a number of project proposals for the building of new docks. However, none of these proposals were carried out, and the problem was not solved until private companies began building enclosed docks in 1802.
CROSS'S LONDON GUIDE
This is the second edition of Cross's London Guide, originally published in 1837 and issued four times. The cover title of this edition is 'CROSS'S POCKET PLAN OF LONDON AND STREET DIRECTORY 1844'. Its principal interest lies in its detailing of the expansion of the railways. London's first railway was opened in 1836, running between Bermondsey and Deptford, reducing the average travelling time from an hour to eight minutes. This line was extended to Greenwich and London Bridge, with the extension recorded on the map. By 1841 there were six terminal stations in London, with railways linking London with Birmingham and Southampton. These terminals were set at a distance from the centre of the city, due to fears of street congestion. This map shows the Great Western, Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall, Southampton and Croydon railways. The intended position of Hungerford Bridge is also shown.
PAYNE'S IMPROVED PLAN OF LONDON
The title of this map appears at top right alongside the publisher’s imprint (in shield) and the city arms. The map is divided in half-mile squares with letters and numbers for reference running along the borders. It shows the Dover, Croydon, Greenwich, Blackwall, Eastern, North London, Great Northern and Birmingham railway lines and their termini.
Payne, Albert Henry