This drawing covers the coastal region around Salcombe, from Bantham and Thurlestone on to Stoke Fleming., It is attributed to Royal Military Surveyor and Draughtsman, Richard Searle, who took part in the West Country Survey from 1803 to 1807., He was one of the most competent surveyors to work on the survey, and taught gentlemen cadets the basics of surveying., Despite this,,he was only rated second-class in the Corps., On this map, the heavy-ink colour washes indicating the steepness of the hills make some of the,inland symbols,difficult to interpret.,,Square gridlines in pencil are prominent at the edges of the map, made to facilitate copying., The manuscript paper carries a watermark from the,James Whatman Turkey Mill., Searle, Richard
Draughtsmen used the colour red to indicate stone, so the unbroken red line around Huntingdon Warren in the centre of the,map means that it was enclosed by a stone wall., Field boundaries are also shown, with those in red again representing stone walls., Notably, the draughtsman has drawn pecked red lines on this map, most obviously at Yealm River in the central left area., These may have represented stone circles., Place names are truncated where the margins of the manuscript have been trimmed. Dawson, Robert
A coloured chart of Plymouth Harbour, and of the country up to Tavistock; drawn possibly by Robert Spry
This is a map of Plymouth and environs and is a 16th century copy of an original map dating from 1591 by Robert Spry. Spry is recorded as a painter in municipal records between 1569-70 and 1591-2. The map is drawn in a somewhat archaic pictorial style with topographical details drawn in perspective. Great detail has been observed in the depiction of churches and country houses and three beacons, the means of alerting the surrounding area, are recorded. The anchorages of the Sound are marked by drawings of ships. The map shows the conduit or leat that was constructed by Sir Francis Drake in 1590-1 in order to provide a water-supply for the town from Dartmoor. In connection with his leat, Drake had been granted a lease of the six town mills in 1583. The leat was designed for the watering of ships and to power the mills and played a central role in Drake’s hopeful project to make Plymouth a powerful naval station. Although popular local tradition suggested that Drake had employed magic in order to effect the construction of the leat which passed through "mighti rockes which was thought unpossible to carrie water through", it was in fact the work of the Plymouth engineers Robert Lampen and his brother. Figures along the course of the leat, from the River Meavy to Plymouth record miles. A section that is likely to have contained an explanatory table has been removed, resulting in the maps irregular shape. Spry, Robert
Relief is shown on this drawing by dense brushwork interlining ('hachures'), with the summits of inclines left bare. It is partly the concern with accurate representation of relief that sets these drawings apart from the earlier county maps. Individual trees are shown with their shadows falling to the left. Rocky outcrops in Tor Bay are shown and the beach is tinted yellow. Quarter-inch squares, used to facilitate copying or reduction of the map, can be seen in pencil around the coastline. The drawing has been titled in ink and the scale is noted in the bottom left. It is not orientated to the north. Stanley, William
This drawing plots the estuaries of the Rivers Erme and Avon on the south Devon coast., The survey date is noted at the bottom right of the manuscript, along with the scale., The draughtsman is unknown, but the elaborate hill-shading and attention to communications routes conform to the military and cartographic standards employed in the overall survey., Square gridlines in pencil are visible at the boundaries of the map, made to facilitate copying.