1 : 31680 The western boundary of this plan is formed by the Peddars Way, a Roman road laid down circa AD61. The ruins of Castle Acre are depicted along this road. Excavations here have uncovered a unique grain-processing plant, comprising a granary, a barn, a kilnhouse, a malthouse and a brewhouse. To the north-east of the castle are the ruins of a former priory belonging to the Cluniac Order, set on an incline above the River Nar. This small river, highlighted in blue on the plan, provided the priory with the greater part of its water supply via a 'monastic drain' - a general descriptive term for fenland drainage systems characterised by large overflow ditches. Metcalf, Edward B.
1 : 31680 This plan covers the North Norfolk coast and features some of the most distinctive salt-marshes, inter-tidal flats, dunes, shingle and grazing marshes in Europe. Near Wells-next-the-Sea is Holkham Park with its triumphal arch indicated along the southern approach. This was the path visitors from London and Newmarket would have taken to Wells. At the highest point of the park, aligned with the arch, is the obelisk of Holkham Park Mansion and Kent's North Lodges. Budgen, Charles
1 : 31680 This plan covers part of Norfolk with the county town of Norwich,depicted at lower right., Built,on a hill, Norwich was of strategic importance to the invading Saxons, Romans and Normans.,,Light pencil interlining ('hachuring') is employed to represent the slight undulation,and the low hills of this part of East Anglia., The landscape is characterised by fertile farmland with a few woodland areas and wild heaths. Budgen, Charles
1 : 31680 The moat and bailey castle at New Buckenham is marked by two concentric black ink rings at the bottom left of this plan. It was built by the Norman Lord, William d'Albini around 1145.,A medieval planned,town was laid out to the east of the castle,which the draughtsman has,indicated,with a grid of red intersecting streets. , , , , Budgen, Charles
1 : 31680 .This plan covers part of West Norfolk, with Lynn Regis depicted at the top left on the west bank of the River Ouse., Derived from the Gaelic for 'lake' or 'pool', the town was originally called Lin, changing to Bishop's Lynn in 1204., After Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries in 1536, it became Lynn Regis, and finally King's Lynn., The heaths and commons characteristic of the area are represented by open dotting, particularly evident in the right-hand portion of the drawing., Warrens are depicted by dense colour washes and short disconnected lines - a technique known as 'hachuring'., Along the left margin of the sheet are numerous annotations, with corrections marked in yellow on the plan. Yeakell, Thomas Jr.