This drawing is mentioned in the Ordnance Survey Letter Book. Folio 91 records that the drawing was returned to the Tower from the Quartermaster General's Office. The circular hole in the top right-hand corner indicates that an 'Ordnance Office Copy' blind stamp has been removed. Relief is a dominant feature of this drawing, recorded by shading and interlining ('hachuring'). Trigonometrical altitudes are also recorded. Coniferous and deciduous trees are distinguished pictorially. Although recording archaeological sites was not obligatory until 1816, many draughtsmen noted these prior to this. Here an 'Ancient Fort' is shown in Trelawn, while an ancient earth bank called Giant's Hedge, possibly the boundary of a petty kingdom, is marked by a yellow line.
South Petherwin, Cornwall
A triangulation diagram covers this whole drawing. This was used to plot the location of significant features around which other topographical details could be added., Trigonometric altitudes are recorded at the summit of inclines, while short disconnected lines are drawn in blue watercolour to represent relief - a technique known as 'hachuring'.,Several archaeological sites are recorded on this drawing, although this did not become obligatory until 1816.,In the lower section of the map to the left of Upton, a darkened triangular point is marked,'Cheese Wring'.,Below this is a stone circle named 'The Hurlers'.,Field boundaries are marked, with darker lines indicating the division between cultivated and uncultivated land.,A table of figures appears in pencil,to the lower right of the drawing.,Sealing wax is apparent on the reverse.,The paper is watermarked W. ELGAR 1796.,
This map features surveyor Robert Dawson's distinctive contouring technique: soft brushwork interlining ('hachuring') combined with numerical notation of relative relief. Dawson has detailed hillforts, medieval castles, barrows and antiquities, including Helmen Tor and St. Prideaux in the north and Fowey Castle and St. Saviours Tower in the south. A coniferous tree plantation is indicated to the right of the moated mound surrounding Restormel Castle, towards the top right of the map. Built by the Normans, the castle had superb defences and was only successfully invaded once in its long history, when Charles I's forces drove out the Parliamentarian garrison in 1644 during the English Civil War. .This map is dated 1805 in pencil on the bottom right-hand corner. Below this, a note of the scale in ink was partly cut off when the margins were trimmed.
Launceston, Cornwall 1
Once the capital of Cornwall, Launceston is represented here by red blocks, each indicating a stone building., The castle dates from Norman times and was one of the greatest strongholds of the Earls of Cornwall, controlling the main entry route into the county., The road leading to Trevadlack Cross is physically,marked on the map,by a series of pin-holes., This means the draughtsman used measuring dividers to plot the exact course of the road., Recording archaeological sites did not become obligatory until 1816, but,many draughtsmen included them before then,out of personal interest., Here,,a set of concentric circles at the top of the map represents such a site, called,'Giant's Grave'.,
Camelford, Cornwall (002OSD000000001U00009000)
Royal Military Draughtsmen and Surveyors were listed as first-class or second-class by the Tower of London Drawing Room according to the quality of their work. Robert Dawson, the draughtsman of this map, was an influential teacher at the Tower and rated first-class, while Henry Stevens, the surveyor, was rated only second-class.The orientation of this map does not have north at the top. Hence, the coastal boundary from Widemouth Bay south to Tintagel Castle runs from left to right along the bottom of the drawing. A faded blue-green wash indicates water. Brown Willy, the highest point in Cornwall, is shown on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor to the top right of the inland boundary. A turnpike road, coloured ochre yellow, runs from Launceston to Camelford. One side of the road is thickened and miles appear alongside in figures. The close attention given to communication routes highlights the military intent of these studies. At the same time, archaeological features and antiquities are also noted, reflecting the particular interests of individual surveyors or draughtsmen. In this instance, manganese mines are marked.