Drawing showing the area around Beddlested in Kent. This sheet is made from several pieces of thin, irregularly cut paper joined together. As a result, the drawing is elongated and has a section missing. A line of dense interlining ('hachuring') along the centre of the map denotes a steep ridge. Written on the reverse of this drawing is "Rags of Kent Sketches by Geo. Pink Royal Military Surveying Draftsman 1789". This may be a retrospective inscription, as the RMSD were not formed until 1798. A Roman camp is shown in the left hand portion of the drawing. The recording of archaeological sites was not obligatory until 1816, but many draughtsmen showed their interest by recording them prior to this date.
This drawing, showing the area around Eynsford in Kent, is covered by a network of red rays, radiating from fixed points marking triangulation stations. These stations, usually sites of relative physical eminence, provided a framework within which to survey the topography of the land. On this plan, red lines radiate from the village church of Ash, marked by a red cross, and from an obelisk in Lullingstone Park. On the far left of the drawing, the word "flag" represents another triangulation point, from which the surveyor took angular measurements. Handwritten annotations at the bottom of the drawing refer to area measurements. There are some corrections in ink