1 : 31680 This drawing covers the counties of Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire, with their boundaries indicated by pecked lines. The Roman road to Bath is tinted yellow to highlight it as a major communication route. A dotted line leading from Sapperton indicates the Sapperton Tunnel, which was opened in 1789. Linked to the Thames and Severn Canal, it was, at that time, the longest tunnel in England. The Sapperton Tunnel enabled boats carry coal cheaply to Cirencester from mines in the north and west. Several trigonometrical points are marked by dots within circles. These were points from which the surveyor took angular measurements to determine the relative locations of prominent features of the landscape. Metcalf, Edward B.
Several orientation points used to plot the survey appear at the edges of this drawing. The draughtsman has recorded the precise layout of the fir plantations at Everly, a chalk pit on Bushton Down, and the Roman road from Bath to Malborough, which is at the top of the drawing. The Kennet and Avon Canal also features. Opened in 1810 to better exploit the resources of the Somerset Coalfields, the canal is contemporary with the survey of this drawing. Extending from Shepherds Shore, a thick grey line is marked 'The Wansdyke'. This is a linear defensive earthwork dating from the 5th century. The area is rich is archaeological sites: Casterely Camp on Black Heath is a large hillfort. The paper is watermarked JAMES WHATMAN TURKEY MILL KENT 1807.
1 : 31680 The drawing is framed by a formal border, confirming its status as complete. Black crosses, labelled Brinkworth and Purton, indicate points from which the surveyor took angular measurements. Bury Hill Camp and Ringsbury Camp, both iron-age hillforts, are indicated by soft interlining and loosely rendered concentric rings. Crocker, Edmund