1 : 31680
.Caxton was a parish along the Ermine Street, the Roman road from Chichester in West Sussex to York via Lincoln. The road forms the western boundary of the plan and is highlighted in buff. To the right of this boundary is the market and parish town of St. Neots, situated on the east bank of the navigable River Ouse. Here, a stone bridge, built in 1588 from the ruins of an old abbey, connects Huntingdonshire with Bedfordshire. Along the River Ouse, about a mile north of St Neots and partly in the parish of Little Paxton, are the premises of the St. Neots Paper Mill Company.
1 : 31680
This drawing covers part of the valley of the River Nene as it meanders through farmland and the cottage industries of Wellingborough and Irthlingborough. Mills are depicted throughout the area, especially along the course of the Nene. With coal absent from the area, natural resources, predominantly wind and water, were used for industrial processing.