Bath is the main settlement in this drawing, appearing in the bottom right-hand corner. The city's Georgian street plan is shown in red. Near the middle of the city, a circular shape represent the Circus, a superb piazza built between 1754 and 1770 by John Wood, father and son. Two curvilinear shapes nearby represent Lansdown Crescent (built 1789-93 by John Palmer) and the Royal Crescent (built 1767-75 by John Wood, the younger). These architectural developments were relatively new when the drawing was made. They remain the finest of their types in the country. Just outside Bath is Lansdown, with a Roman route marked "roman Vicinal Way". An "Ancient Camp" and an "Ancient Intrenchment" are also indicated - evidence that Bath had been a settlement since the Roman era, its prosperity founded on its mineral springs. The status of the drawing as a finished copy is affirmed by the ink border and italic lettering.
1 : 31680
The Avon barracks and battery are documented at the mouth of the River Severn, at the top of the map, protecting the Bristol Channel. Gravemounds ('Tumuli'), hill forts, ancient camps and antiquities are distinguished by the use of gothic lettering. The recording of archaeological details became obligatory in 1816. Quarries, kilns, mills, brickyards and pits dominate this industrial region of the West Midlands. According to a note in the Ordnance Survey Day Books, held in the National Archives, a one inch-to-the-mile reduction of this plan was delivered to Captain Gossett for engraving in the Drawing Office at the Tower of London in March 1830.
This drawing highlights Bath and the River Avon. Major communication routes are coloured yellow/buff, according to military cartographic convention. Shading and 'hachuring' denote relief and give an overall impression of the undulating landscape. The Somerset Coal Canal is clearly visible leading into Bath. It was established by Act of Parliament in 1794 and welcomed by the mine owners of north Somerset as a cheaper way of transporting coal to Bath and the surrounding areas, curbing fears of an influx of Welsh coal. The canal was one of the most successful in the country, carrying over 100,000 tons of coal per year. That success was to be checked, however, by the expansion of the local rail network, in particular, the opening of the line between Radstock and Frome, which hastened the canal's closure in 1898. At the time of this survey, the canal was fully operational.