Bath is the main settlement in this drawing, appearing in the bottom right-hand corner. The city's Georgian street plan is shown in red. Near the middle of the city, a circular shape represent the Circus, a superb piazza built between 1754 and 1770 by John Wood, father and son. Two curvilinear shapes nearby represent Lansdown Crescent (built 1789-93 by John Palmer) and the Royal Crescent (built 1767-75 by John Wood, the younger). These architectural developments were relatively new when the drawing was made. They remain the finest of their types in the country. Just outside Bath is Lansdown, with a Roman route marked "roman Vicinal Way". An "Ancient Camp" and an "Ancient Intrenchment" are also indicated - evidence that Bath had been a settlement since the Roman era, its prosperity founded on its mineral springs. The status of the drawing as a finished copy is affirmed by the ink border and italic lettering.
1 : 31680
This hill sketch features an engraved outline reading 'Ordnance map of the environs of Bristol'. Military barracks and batteries protecting the Bristol Cannel are recorded at the mouth of the River Severn, at the top of the map. Grave mounds ('Tumuli'), hillforts, ancient camps and antiquities are noted in gothic script at Bitton and to the right of Dundry Hill. Otherwise, quarries, mills and pits dominate this industrial region of the county of Avon. Corrections in red ink and other additions were made at a later date.
1 : 31680
The Avon barracks and battery are documented at the mouth of the River Severn, at the top of the map, protecting the Bristol Channel. Gravemounds ('Tumuli'), hill forts, ancient camps and antiquities are distinguished by the use of gothic lettering. The recording of archaeological details became obligatory in 1816. Quarries, kilns, mills, brickyards and pits dominate this industrial region of the West Midlands. According to a note in the Ordnance Survey Day Books, held in the National Archives, a one inch-to-the-mile reduction of this plan was delivered to Captain Gossett for engraving in the Drawing Office at the Tower of London in March 1830.