This drawing covers the coastline of Swanage and Studland. Reflecting the military impetus of the Ordanance Survey, a battery and signal point are marked on opposite sides of Swanage Bay. The islands and sands around Poole are recorded in detail and the various channels marked and named. There is a network of red-ink lines around Swanage. These are probably stone walls delineating field boundaries, but could also be corrections added at a later date. On the right-hand edge of the manuscript, a note records the scale of the drawing, the date of execution and the names of the surveyors. The note is pasted on and may have been trimmed from the margins of the drawing and repositioned. A red pecked line, starting at Allam Chine on North Shore, marks the county boundary between Dorset and Hampshire.
This drawing represents the relative relief of the landscape by light shading and interlining in pencil. Parallel pecked lines indicate paths across open land. Achling Ditch, a Roman road, runs diagonally across the drawing. To the left of the road is Blandford Race Ground and Telegraph. As well as being a racecourse until the end of the 19th century, Blandford was used as a military training ground by local volunteers from the 18th century onwards. In 1806, a Royal Navy Shutter Telegraph Station was built near the racecourse. The signal station, on the London to Plymouth route, was closed after the Napoleonic War. In the lower section of the map, concentric rings depict the iron-age hillfort of Badbury Rings.