This drawing covers the settlements and surrounding country of part of Essex. Brentwood is the largest of these settlements. The layout of the town is indicated by red blocks. The straight line of the road leading to the town reveals its Roman origin, although the draughtsman, unusually, does not label it as such. The main communication routes are coloured yellow, conforming to military cartographic standards. The meanderings of the River Crouch are painstakingly plotted, with the surrounding open land represented by dots.
THE ENVIRONS OF LONDON
This map of London and part of the Home Counties was published in Pinnock's 'Guide to Knowledge'. Reduced from an original Ordnance Survey drawing, the map is printed in white on black, with the title in inset table at top centre. Though none of the sheets of the first edition of the Ordnance Survey covered London, part of the metropolitan area was contained in the maps of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey and Kent issued between 1805 and 1822.
An accurate MAP of the Country TWENTY MILES round LONDON. From GRAVESEND to WINDSOR East and West, and from ST. ALBANS to WESTERHAM North and South with the CIRCUIT of the PENNY POST
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. The title of this plan runs along the top, with borders divided in degrees of latitude and longitude, county boundaries outlined in colour and the circuit of the Penny Postmarked in red. Before William Dockwra set up the Penny Post in 1680, there was no local delivery of letters in London, except by private courier. Dockwra opened seven sorting offices and hundreds of receiving houses. Letters were delivered to addresses in London for the charge of a penny, paid by the sender. An extra penny was charged for deliveries in the London Country area within ten miles of the city. In 1682, the Post Office took over the running of the service.