Stratford - Le - Bow
1 : 21120 This plan of north east London extends from the Isle of Dogs and Wapping at the bottom, to 'Layton Stone' and Epping Forest at the top. Field boundaries infilled with stripes depict tilled land. Major settlements are drawn in red ink. North of Stoke Newington, to the top left, a road is plotted as a series of fixed points pricked off with dividers and joined by ruled pencil lines. These protractions were made directly from the Ordnance Survey field books. Pencil rays intersect across the map, evidence of measurements taken by the surveyor between fixed triangulation points. Poplar Gut is outlined in red at the Isle of Dogs, the beginnings of the development of the West India Docks.
Triangulation lines radiating from fixed points are clearly visible on this map. A pecked red line running adjacent to Lee River marks the boundary separating Essex from Hertforshire and Middlesex. Henhault Forest is shown by a stippled canopy of tree tops at the centre of the drawing. Perhaps the most interesting detail on this map is just south of the forest: a small drawing of a tree inside an enclosure marked 'Fairlop Oak'. This giant oak tree was something of a local landmark. In 1791, William Forsyth, gardener to George III, made unsuccessful attempts to halt the tree's decline. The year that this map was published, the tree was badly burnt by a fire started during a picnic. Its health steadily continued to wane until it was blown down in a gale in 1820. The inclusion of details such as the Fairlop Oak reveals the meticulous nature of the Survey, and the great attention paid to local detail. Budgen, Charles
LONDON AND ITS ENVIRONS 241
This is a later edition of the map of London and the suburbs first issued by Davies in 1840. The map features title in top border, scale bar at bottom centre and key to symbols below the map. A note below the map states that the map contains "the boundaries of the Metropolitan Boroughs, the different railroads and stations, the new cemeteries and roads, docks, canals and all the modern improvements. The map is chiefly drawn from the Ordnance Survey, the railroads and the other improvements from the official copies and the Borough of Marylebone from the survey published by Mr Britton. The whole corrected from personal observations and measurements." Davies, Benjamin Rees