Pencil lines radiating from trigonometrical stations cover this drawing. They show the angles used for measuring distances and plotting topographical features. To the left of the map on Chestnut Common, the word 'flag' denotes the site of such a station. Hoddesden Park Wood and surrounding woodland are shown by individual trees with a line at the base, indicating shadow. This laborious technique was often replaced by a more generalised, stippled representation of treetops. The Lee River, running from Standstead at the top of this drawing, branches to form a canal leading down to the Powder Mills, which manufactured Gun Powder for shipping to London. Locks on the canal are shown in red
MAP of the COUNTRY 15 MILES ROUND London SHEWING BY A YELLOW CIRCLE OF 3 MILEs, THE LIMITS OF THE TWOPENNY POST DELIVERY
This map was commissioned by the House of Commons for the ninth report of the Post Office Management. The map's title features at top right, with an explanatory note and scale bar at bottom right. It shows the boundaries of the London Two-Penny Post, and the old and current boundaries of the Country Three-Penny Post, with mail routes highlighted in red. Post stages on the edges of the post area allowed mail to be exchanged between the London and the General Post on all main roads out of London.
A New and Correct Mapp of Middlesex, Essex and Hertfordshire
Bland, Joseph, Parker, Samuel, Smyth, Payler and Warburton, John
An accurate MAP of the Country TWENTY MILES round LONDON. From GRAVESEND to WINDSOR East and West, and from ST. ALBANS to WESTERHAM North and South with the CIRCUIT of the PENNY POST
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. The title of this plan runs along the top, with borders divided in degrees of latitude and longitude, county boundaries outlined in colour and the circuit of the Penny Postmarked in red. Before William Dockwra set up the Penny Post in 1680, there was no local delivery of letters in London, except by private courier. Dockwra opened seven sorting offices and hundreds of receiving houses. Letters were delivered to addresses in London for the charge of a penny, paid by the sender. An extra penny was charged for deliveries in the London Country area within ten miles of the city. In 1682, the Post Office took over the running of the service.