1 : 31680 This plan of the Chiltern Hills runs from Beaconsfield and Harefield at the top to Windsor Park, Egham and Staines at the bottom. A section of the Grand Junction Canal, running from Harefield down to West Drayton, is shown in aquamarine. The paper carries the watermark "E ,amp; P", standing for Edmeads and Pine. Boyce
Estates at Windsor, Berkshire
This is a manuscript map of the area surrounding Windsor in Berkshire. It forms part of an atlas that belonged to William Cecil Lord Burghley, Elizabeth I’s Secretary of State. Burghley used this atlas to illustrate domestic matters. Burghley was in charge of administration for the Royal Estate of Windsor. The Royal Estates were notoriously slackly administered, a flaw that no official involved was keen to remedy as there were considerable personal advantages to be gained from inadequacies in the system. The map is drawn to scale with a scale bar of 5.5 - 6 miles. The many parks are shown by enclosure symbols, an important feature of any landscape for military purposes as it was in parks that troops could rest and horses graze. Communication routes such as roads and pathways are indicated by double or single broken lines and the rivers and the points at which they are bridged are also shown. The waterways were a vital communication route at the time, especially in this area where the Thames provides direct access to the centre of London.
An accurate MAP of the Country TWENTY MILES round LONDON. From GRAVESEND to WINDSOR East and West, and from ST. ALBANS to WESTERHAM North and South with the CIRCUIT of the PENNY POST
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. The title of this plan runs along the top, with borders divided in degrees of latitude and longitude, county boundaries outlined in colour and the circuit of the Penny Postmarked in red. Before William Dockwra set up the Penny Post in 1680, there was no local delivery of letters in London, except by private courier. Dockwra opened seven sorting offices and hundreds of receiving houses. Letters were delivered to addresses in London for the charge of a penny, paid by the sender. An extra penny was charged for deliveries in the London Country area within ten miles of the city. In 1682, the Post Office took over the running of the service. Cary, John