Drawing of the area in Kent to the west of Hythe and south of Ashford. The drawing is quite worn, making it hard to read. The Hythe coastline is indicated by a blue line. Romney Marsh is shown as a patchwork of green fields. The layout of an orchard at Westernhanger is represented by tiny drawings of individual trees. Detail such as this reveals the meticulousness of the Ordnance Survey.Near Ruckinge, a dot and pencil line are annotated "Military Canal". The Royal Military Canal was built in 1806, stretching for 28 miles from Hythe to Cliff End. It was built as a third line of defence against Napoleon, in combination with the Royal Navy patrol of the English Channel and the line of 74 Martello Towers along the south coast. The pencil line on this drawing, leading from Ruckinge across Romney Marsh to the coast, does not correspond to the actual position of the finished canal. The project had to wait five years after the drawing was produced before the government granted final approval.
A Chart of Rye Harbour, the Island of Oxney, and the Adjacent Country
This is a map of Rye Harbour and the Isle of Oxney, dating from around 1600. Positioned on the estuary of the River Rother, Rye affords a clear view of the Romney Marches, making it a valuable post for coastal defence. Places are represented by elevation views of buildings. The concern with coastal defence at this date was due to England’s continuing war with Spain. Although the Spanish Armada was defeated in 1588 Philip II attempted further invasions during the 1590’s. A scale bar showing ‘myles and furlonges’ is included. The practical use of this map is hinted at by the differentiation in the presentation of domestic townscape views, shown in pictorial elevation, and the plan form that represents Camber Castle, a defensive military structure. A scale bar showing ‘myles and furlonges’ is included.
The description of Romney Marsh, Walland, Marshy, Denge and Gulforde marsh, with the divisions of their waterings, heads, armes, principal sewers and their gutts
This is a map of the Romney Marsh area, dating from around 1590. It shows the network of sewers and waterways in the area and is principally concerned with drainage. The locations of bridges are carefully recorded. The topography of the landscape is depicted with hills, trees, churches, towns, villages and windmills shown pictorially. A small island in the sea records the location where a village once stood. Camber castle is shown and the draughtsman has attempted to indicate the actual architectural features of the castle.