1 : 10560 This map, showing the area around Cobham in Kent, is drawn on rectangular sheet lines, enclosed by a black border. Fields are coloured brown where cultivated, and green or blank if untilled. Stonework buildings and structures are drawn in red ink at major settlements. Pencil rays intersecting across the map, discernable beneath the inked detail, are evidence of angular measurements taken by the surveyor between fixed triangulation points. Altitudes on sites of eminence ('spot heights') have been measured and noted in red-ink figures.
Chart of the mouth of the River Thames, c1540
This map, showing parts of Kent and Sussex, comes from a 16th-century portfolio of coastal charts and drawings It incorporates miniature copies of town plans that are now lost including what are probably the earliest plans of Canterbury, Rochester and Sandwich The mapmaker was Sir Richard Cavendish With its emphasis on sandbanks and beaches, the map was evidently intended for navigation and defence purposes The decorative quality of the map suggests it was meant for the eyes of the king, Henry VIII North is to the left of the map and East to the top, making the map appear on its side to modern eyes Cavendish, Sir Richard
Essex f. 10
This map of Essex is taken from a work entitled ""A CHOROGRAPHICALL description of the several Shires and Islands of Middlesex, Essex, Surrey, Sussex, Hamshire, Weighte, Garnesey and Jersey, performed by the travel and view of John Norden, 1595."" The map forms part of an omnibus volume of Norden's intended series of county guides, the Speculum Britanniae, which was never completed. It is dedicated to Elizabeth I, in whose reign the use of maps became more common. Under Elizabeth’s patronage the first, mostly accurate and detailed image of Britain was recorded by Christopher Saxton in his atlas of 1579. The volume that this map is from was meant for presentation to the Queen in the hope of securing her financial support for the project. This map of Essex is derived from Saxton’s work, in that relief is shown pictorially by small hill symbols, woodland and parks are shown by small trees, the later with a fence surrounding and surrounding counties are left blank. The main difference however between this and the Saxton maps is that this includes the road network and indicates the homes of the leading aristocracy and gentry. Roads are shown in beige, clearly linking the settlements, which are shown pictorially and highlighted with a red dot. London appears in the lower left corner. This development is significant as it shows the progression from a presentation of the county, to a means to practically navigate it. As a further tool in this endeavour the map is squared off with an Alpha numeric border. The depiction of roads and the orientation grid are derived from German prototypes. The Elizabethan coat of arms, appears to the left and sea monsters and ships provide decoration. Norden, John