North Fleet, Kent
1 : 10560 .Fields are coloured brown where cultivated, and green or blank if untilled., Stonework buildings or structures are drawn in red ink,at the major settlements of North Fleet and Gravesend. Infilled or blocked areas of black or sepia ink depict structures or buildings made from impermanent materials such as wood.,A great deal of care has been taken in the drawing of the field boundaries, with individual,bushes and hedges depicted.
A NEW and CORRECT MAP of the COUNTRIES TWENTY MILES Round LONDON.
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map was published in Henry Chamberlain's 1770 'A New and Compleat History and Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster.' The map's title features along the top, with a scale bar and explanatory note below the plan, and border divided in degrees of latitude and longitude. Churches, hills and other architectural or geographical landmarks are indicated by symbols. Market towns are marked by stars. Bowen, Thomas
Chart of the mouth of the River Thames, c1540
This map, showing parts of Kent and Sussex, comes from a 16th-century portfolio of coastal charts and drawings It incorporates miniature copies of town plans that are now lost including what are probably the earliest plans of Canterbury, Rochester and Sandwich The mapmaker was Sir Richard Cavendish With its emphasis on sandbanks and beaches, the map was evidently intended for navigation and defence purposes The decorative quality of the map suggests it was meant for the eyes of the king, Henry VIII North is to the left of the map and East to the top, making the map appear on its side to modern eyes Cavendish, Sir Richard