Map of Greate Parke
Map of Great Park from "A Description of the Honour of Windesor", John Norden's survey of Windsor. The title page states that the survey was "taken and performed by the perambulation view and delineation of John Norden In Anno 1607". The plans are the result of a survey conducted on foot by Norden. The maps in this volume show communication routes, individual buildings, field boundaries and parkland along with details of wildlife and human activity, such as stags in Windsor Park and people boating on the Thames. The scale at which the maps are presented varies throughout the volume, with feet, perches and miles being the units of measurement recorded by a scale bar.
John Norden is best known for his work "Speculum Britainiae", literally a "Mirror of Britain", which in its attempt to include the road names and town plans, lacking on many county maps of the period, was a direct ancestor of the modern A-Z. As well as producing several county maps in the 1590s, Norden worked as a land surveyor producing surveys for landowners and was the author of a work which outlines principles of surveying, known as the "Surveyor's Dialogue". Norden, John
1 : 31680 This plan of the Chiltern Hills runs from Beaconsfield and Harefield at the top to Windsor Park, Egham and Staines at the bottom. A section of the Grand Junction Canal, running from Harefield down to West Drayton, is shown in aquamarine. The paper carries the watermark "E ,amp; P", standing for Edmeads and Pine. Boyce
1 : 31680 .This map is in poor repair. Its edges are dirty and damaged, and a join is visible where the drawing has been torn. Triangulation points can be seen at the map's boundaries, along with a series of stitch holes. Silk tape was wound through these holes to protect the map in the field. .The drawing details a large number of commons, including Pirbright, Ham Haw and Ockham. These are depicted by patterns of open dotting. Basingstoke Canal also features. It was completed in 1794, only a few years before this map was drawn. Blue washes, used to depict water, have faded. The town of Chertsey appears towards the top right, along with the ruins of Chertsey Abbey. The abbey was founded in AD666, as a house for the Benedictine Order, and dissolved in 1537. Budgen, Thomas