Several orientation points used to plot the survey appear at the edges of this drawing. The draughtsman has recorded the precise layout of the fir plantations at Everly, a chalk pit on Bushton Down, and the Roman road from Bath to Malborough, which is at the top of the drawing. The Kennet and Avon Canal also features. Opened in 1810 to better exploit the resources of the Somerset Coalfields, the canal is contemporary with the survey of this drawing. Extending from Shepherds Shore, a thick grey line is marked 'The Wansdyke'. This is a linear defensive earthwork dating from the 5th century. The area is rich is archaeological sites: Casterely Camp on Black Heath is a large hillfort. The paper is watermarked JAMES WHATMAN TURKEY MILL KENT 1807.
This drawing describes the borders of the counties of Berkshire, Hampshire and Wiltshire. Their boundaries are marked by red pecked lines, as a note at the base of the drawing explains. The draughtsman has detailed the star-shaped path formation of Savernake Forest, a great royal hunting forest, and recorded the Roman road between Marton and Titcombe. Chisbury, an iron-age hillfort, is marked by concentric rings to the right of Savernake Forest, although the recording of archaeological features did not become obligatory until 1816. To the left of Shalbourne, a windmill is shown in elevation.