The small pencil markings at the edges of this drawing were used as reference points by the draughtsman from which to plot the area accurately. The road to Earl Stoke is marked "TG", meaning toll gate. The precision with which the survey records the road network is testimony to the military imperative of the Survey and is a major advance on earlier county maps. Running diagonally across the drawing is the Roman road from Bath, indicated by grey lines. The Kennet and Avon Canal and the Wiltshire and Berkshire Canal are shown in aquamarine, with each lock recorded, most notably on the section leading into Devizes. The canals were opened in 1810 to better exploit the resources of the Somerset coalfield, and are therefore contemporary with the survey of this drawing. The paper is watermarked JAMES WHATMAN TURKEY MILL KENT 1807.