1 : 31680
.This map is in poor repair. Its edges are dirty and damaged, and a join is visible where the drawing has been torn. Triangulation points can be seen at the map's boundaries, along with a series of stitch holes. Silk tape was wound through these holes to protect the map in the field. .The drawing details a large number of commons, including Pirbright, Ham Haw and Ockham. These are depicted by patterns of open dotting. Basingstoke Canal also features. It was completed in 1794, only a few years before this map was drawn. Blue washes, used to depict water, have faded. The town of Chertsey appears towards the top right, along with the ruins of Chertsey Abbey. The abbey was founded in AD666, as a house for the Benedictine Order, and dissolved in 1537.
Map of Forests around Windsor
Map of the forests around Windsor from "A Description of the Honour of Windesor", John Norden's survey of Windsor. The title page states that the survey was "taken and performed by the perambulation view and delineation of John Norden In Anno 1607". The plans are the result of a survey conducted on foot by Norden. The maps in this volume show communication routes, individual buildings, field boundaries and parkland along with details of wildlife and human activity, such as stags in Windsor Park and people boating on the Thames. The scale at which the maps are presented varies throughout the volume, with feet, perches and miles being the units of measurement recorded by a scale bar. John Norden is best known for his work "Speculum Britainiae", literally a "Mirror of Britain", which in its attempt to include the road names and town plans, lacking on many county maps of the period, was a direct ancestor of the modern A-Z. As well as producing several county maps in the 1590s, Norden worked as a land surveyor producing surveys for landowners and was the author of a work which outlines principles of surveying, known as the "Surveyor's Dialogue".
A NEW and CORRECT MAP of the COUNTRIES TWENTY MILES Round LONDON.
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map was published in Henry Chamberlain's 1770 'A New and Compleat History and Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster.' The map's title features along the top, with a scale bar and explanatory note below the plan, and border divided in degrees of latitude and longitude. Churches, hills and other architectural or geographical landmarks are indicated by symbols. Market towns are marked by stars.