Detail from OSD 127 (Hampton Court), showing Kingston, Richmond and Twickenham
This drawing of London and the surrounding Thames countryside provides a fascinating blueprint of Regency London. The layouts of the ornamental gardens and tree-lined avenues of Hampton Court and nearby Bushy Park are shown in detail. These contrast with the depiction of Kew Gardens, which is left blank within its boundaries. The Ordnance Survey Letter Book records: "When the Ordnance Survey of the vicinity of Brentford was made, The Surveyor was not permitted to enter Kew Gardens." At that time, King George III was recuperating at Kew from bouts of mental illness: the king's privacy and security took primacy over mapmaking. Stanley, William
MAP of the COUNTRY 15 MILES ROUND London SHEWING BY A YELLOW CIRCLE OF 3 MILEs, THE LIMITS OF THE TWOPENNY POST DELIVERY
This map was commissioned by the House of Commons for the ninth report of the Post Office Management. The map's title features at top right, with an explanatory note and scale bar at bottom right. It shows the boundaries of the London Two-Penny Post, and the old and current boundaries of the Country Three-Penny Post, with mail routes highlighted in red. Post stages on the edges of the post area allowed mail to be exchanged between the London and the General Post on all main roads out of London. Wyld, James
An accurate MAP of the Country TWENTY MILES round LONDON. From GRAVESEND to WINDSOR East and West, and from ST. ALBANS to WESTERHAM North and South with the CIRCUIT of the PENNY POST
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. The title of this plan runs along the top, with borders divided in degrees of latitude and longitude, county boundaries outlined in colour and the circuit of the Penny Postmarked in red. Before William Dockwra set up the Penny Post in 1680, there was no local delivery of letters in London, except by private courier. Dockwra opened seven sorting offices and hundreds of receiving houses. Letters were delivered to addresses in London for the charge of a penny, paid by the sender. An extra penny was charged for deliveries in the London Country area within ten miles of the city. In 1682, the Post Office took over the running of the service. Cary, John
A NEW and CORRECT MAP of the COUNTRIES TWENTY MILES Round LONDON.
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map was published in Henry Chamberlain's 1770 'A New and Compleat History and Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster.' The map's title features along the top, with a scale bar and explanatory note below the plan, and border divided in degrees of latitude and longitude. Churches, hills and other architectural or geographical landmarks are indicated by symbols. Market towns are marked by stars. Bowen, Thomas