Insurance Plan of London West North-West District Vol. B: Key Plan
1 : 3600 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1902 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent
John Cary was possibly the most productive English map maker and publisher of the18th Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each edition by showing new developments. This is the third edition of a map first published in 1787. The developments in Somers Town are shown; the Lambeth and London roads are named. The numerous parks and gardens across the city are coloured green. The map is divided into squares, numbered for reference. Cary, John
LONDON AT ONE VIEW: A NEW MAP
Map of London with title along the top, scale bar at top left and statistical note below the map. Down both sides of the map are views of London prominent buildings and landmarks. Nelson Column, Westminster Hall, Horse Guard, Buckingham Palace and Burlington Arcade are depicted down the left of the map and the Monument, St Paul's Cathedral, Guildhall, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar and the Thames Tunnel down the right. Biggs, George
This map of Victorian London was published in the 'Weekly Dispatch' newspaper of 1756. Its title appears at top right, along with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar. Based on Davies's map of 1847, the map shows London railway termini, the South Western, West London and North Kent lines, and all post-receiving houses and pillars. Cassell, Petter & Calpin
This untitled map of London features scale bar at top left. The city boundary is marked in red, with open land, such as parks and gardens, in green, and the Thames, docks and canals in blue. The map clearly labels the contemporary development of the railway lines, with the Birmingham railway shown intersecting the Regent's Canal at Camden Town. The canal, enthusiastically promoted by architect John Nash, was built to facilitate the import of goods from the provinces. Constructed at the beginning of the era of sustained railway development, however, it never fulfilled its potential and became obsolete.
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton. Davies, Benjamin Rees
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank. Cary, John