Stratford - Le - Bow
1 : 21120 This plan of north east London extends from the Isle of Dogs and Wapping at the bottom, to 'Layton Stone' and Epping Forest at the top. Field boundaries infilled with stripes depict tilled land. Major settlements are drawn in red ink. North of Stoke Newington, to the top left, a road is plotted as a series of fixed points pricked off with dividers and joined by ruled pencil lines. These protractions were made directly from the Ordnance Survey field books. Pencil rays intersect across the map, evidence of measurements taken by the surveyor between fixed triangulation points. Poplar Gut is outlined in red at the Isle of Dogs, the beginnings of the development of the West India Docks.
LONDON Drawn and engraved expressly for the POST OFFICE DIRECTORY
Map of London published by Benjamin Rees Davies for the Post Office Directory with title and scale bar in table at top right. The London post codes W, N, N.E., E, S.E., S and S.W. are indicated. Davies, Benjamin Rees
KAART van LONDEN enz en van het NABY GELEGEN LAND ruim een Uur gaans. rondsom dezelve Stad; getrokken uit de groote gemeeten Kaart van de Hr. JOHN ROCQUE, Te AMSTERDAM by ISAAK TIRION 1754
In the second half of the18th century, the introduction of turnpike roads and the increased coach-traffic in and out of London contributed to the popularity of the maps of the countryside around the capital. This map of the area ten miles round the City of London was published in Amsterdam by Isaak Tirion. Based on John Rocque's survey of 1744, the map’s title, imprint and key appears in a table at top left. The scale bars are in a panel below the plan. Built-up areas are stippled in the City and hatched elsewhere. Tirion, Isaak
This map of London was produced for the 1832 Reform Bill that established the metropolitan boroughs. The map's title features along the top; with a compass star at top right, an explanatory note at bottom right. At bottom left is a list of the 'liberties' of the city - the name given to areas exempt from the jurisdiction of the country sheriff, being subject to a separate commission of the peace (in this case royal and governmental authorities). The new boroughs are highlighted in colour, with the shaded area representing the old boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark. Dawson, Lieut. Robert K.
Triangulation lines radiating from fixed points are clearly visible on this map. A pecked red line running adjacent to Lee River marks the boundary separating Essex from Hertforshire and Middlesex. Henhault Forest is shown by a stippled canopy of tree tops at the centre of the drawing. Perhaps the most interesting detail on this map is just south of the forest: a small drawing of a tree inside an enclosure marked 'Fairlop Oak'. This giant oak tree was something of a local landmark. In 1791, William Forsyth, gardener to George III, made unsuccessful attempts to halt the tree's decline. The year that this map was published, the tree was badly burnt by a fire started during a picnic. Its health steadily continued to wane until it was blown down in a gale in 1820. The inclusion of details such as the Fairlop Oak reveals the meticulous nature of the Survey, and the great attention paid to local detail. Budgen, Charles
JURISDICTION OF THE METROPOLITAN POLICE
This map illustrates plans for the reform of the jurisdiction of Metropolitan Police. Based on Dawson's map of 1832, the map’s title appear along the top, with compass star at top right, explanatory note at bottom left, and a scale bar at bottom right. District boundaries are highlighted in colour, with the old limits of London, Westminster and Southwark shaded. Formed in 1829, the Metropolitan Police had its jurisdiction extended in 1839to Greater London - an area taken to mean all parishes partly within twelve miles of Charing Cross or wholly within fifteen miles of Charing Cross. In the same year, the City of London formed its own police force. Dawson, Lieut. Robert K.
Plan of a Proposed TURNPIKE ROAD From St. JOHN'S CHAPEL, ST. MARYLEBONE into the Great North Road Near the 8 Mile Stone at Finchley
1 : 31680 Plan of the proposed turnpike road from Regent's Park to Finchley, today's Finchley Road. The plan features title at top right, scale bars at lower right and sections of the road in elevation at the foot of the plate, with the new road represented by a double dotted line coloured red. Down the left of the plate a table gives distances between stations along the road and shows the savings in milage generated by the new road. Phillips, Henry