The plat of Romney Marsh, Describing as well the Common Watercourses, with Their Heads, Armes, Pinocks, Bridges, and Principal Gutt
This is a plan of Romney marsh, north of the Rhee Wall dating from around 1592. also describing the common watercourses with their heads, armes, pinocks, bridges and principall gutt, also the high (can't read) and lanes within the same shewing likewise thee true places of the parish churches, dwelling-hou. It shows the communication routes of high ways and lanes and the location of parish churches. Common watercourses are indicated, along with the location of their heads. Romney marsh is one of the largest areas of coastal marshland in England. Due to its nature as wet land adequate drainage of the area is a consideration, reflected by the attention given to water courses here. This map is a derivative of a drainage map attributed to Thomas Langdon.
Drawing of the area in Kent to the west of Hythe and south of Ashford. The drawing is quite worn, making it hard to read. The Hythe coastline is indicated by a blue line. Romney Marsh is shown as a patchwork of green fields. The layout of an orchard at Westernhanger is represented by tiny drawings of individual trees. Detail such as this reveals the meticulousness of the Ordnance Survey.Near Ruckinge, a dot and pencil line are annotated "Military Canal". The Royal Military Canal was built in 1806, stretching for 28 miles from Hythe to Cliff End. It was built as a third line of defence against Napoleon, in combination with the Royal Navy patrol of the English Channel and the line of 74 Martello Towers along the south coast. The pencil line on this drawing, leading from Ruckinge across Romney Marsh to the coast, does not correspond to the actual position of the finished canal. The project had to wait five years after the drawing was produced before the government granted final approval.