CROSS'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON 1828
The title of this folding map is inset in the top border, with the publisher's imprint and explanatory notes in the bottom border and a list of parishes in a table at top right. The map is divided into half-mile squares for reference, with the river, open spaces and the boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark highlighted in different colours.
LONDON IN MINIATURE WITH THE Surrounding AN ENTIRE NEW PLAN In which the Improvements both present and intended are actually reduced (by permission) from the surveys of Several Proprietors
The title of this map appears at top right, with scale bar at the bottom centre, and a compass rose near top left. Watercourses, roads and open spaces are depicted in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridges at Waterloo and Vauxhall, extending eastward on an added sheet to include the Isle of Dogs.
PIGOT & Co New Plan of London Taken from the Best Authorities
The title and publisher's imprint of this map appear at the top right, facing an explanatory note at top left. Squares, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. A key to colours is provided at the bottom left. Published in Pigot's 'Metropolis Guide and Book of Reference', the map is divided into circles numbered for reference, showing Waterloo, Vauxhall and Battersea Bridges.
PLAN of LONDON
Only the main roads appear on this map, giving the appearance of a rather spacious capital city. The new London Bridge is shown without its approaches. Pecked lines show the intended location of the Thames Tunnel. Marc Brunel, father of the great engineer Isobard, solved the problem of how to bore through soft ground or under water, inventing the tunnelling shield. Both father and son worked on the tunnel which was completed as a foot tunnel in 1843, before becoming a railway tunnel for the East London Railway in the 1860s. The East and West India Docks are also shown.
LAURIE'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON and its ENVIRONS with an Improved Scale FOR ASCERTENING DISTANCES
Map of London and the suburbs with title, imprint and dedication to Lord Viscount Melbourne in table at top right. Below the title, a note explaining that the map was based on the trigonometric survey by General Roy "combined with a new series of 52 stations on elevated situations from which the positions of upward to of 450 steeples, domes, turrets, vanes and other conspicuous objects within the limits of the plan, have been determined by means of more than 5000 angles."
Laurie, Richard Holmes
LAURIE and WHITTLE NEW MAP OF LONDON WITH ITS ENVIRONS &C. Including the Recent Improvements
The title of this map of London and suburbs appears at top left, with the key to symbols and abbreviations at the top right and a compass rose at the bottom centre. The map is divided into mile squares with borders marked off in furlongs for reference. Squares, open spaces and city boundaries are distinguished in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued in 1804, updated to include the new bridges and the approaches at Waterloo and Vauxhall (indicated by dotted lines). Built between 1809 and 1819, Vauxhall, Waterloo and Southwark bridges were projected, funded and constructed by private commercial companies hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic from Lambeth, Camberwell and the rest of south London.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
THE CIRCUITEER. A SERIES OF DISTANCE MAPS FOR ALL THE PRINCIPAL TOWNS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. INVENTED BY J. FREDERICHS AS A GUIDE FOR ASCERTAINING CAB FARES, PORTERAGE &c. &c.
The title of this map of Victorian London appears at top centre, with a scale bar at the foot of the plate. The map is divided into circles, each a half-mile in diameter, allowing the reader to ascertain the distance between two places at a glance. Each circle is also numbered for reference, with a key to the principal streets and squares a in panel below the map, together with an explanatory note. Repeated in French and German, this note reports London cab fares, set by Act of Parliament at 8d (pence) per mile and 4d for every additional half mile.
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton.
Davies, Benjamin Rees
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank.
A New Map of LONDON and its ENVIRONS From an Original Survey
This London Map comprises two sheets, with title at top right, imprint below the title, compass star at middle right and the scale bar at bottom left. Set within a decorative border, the map extends beyond the built-up area of the city to include parts of Middlesex, Surrey, the Lea River Valley and Greenwich.
ROWE'S PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, exhibiting the various IMPROVEMENTS, to the Year 1804 with the LONDON and WEST INDIA DOCKS
The title of this map appears along the top, with the table of reference in a panel below the plan and scale bar at bottom right. The map is divided into rectangles for reference and shows the newly built London and West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. Designed by William Jessop, the docks were completed in 1802 allowing West India Company merchants to discharge their ships in four days instead of the usual four weeks.
LAURIE and WHITTLE'S NEW MAP OF LONDON WITH ITS ENVIRONS
This is a later edition of Laurie and Whittle's folding map of London, first published in 1804. The title appears as an old inscription on an illustrated pyramid at top left, also showing city arms, ship, flag, anchor, flora and fauna. Explanation of symbols and abbreviations is given above the publisher's imprint at top right, with compass star at bottom centre. The border of the map is marked off in furlongs. Proposed works, including the Vauxhall and Waterloo bridges and their approaches, are highlighted in yellow.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER with the Borough of SOUTHWARK Being an INDEX to the Large Plan in forty Sheets
This folding map of London was originally published by Faden in 1818 as an index to Harwood's famous map of Regency London. This is a later edition of the map, issued by Wyld when he took over Faden's publishing business. The title, explanation and scale bar feature at top right. The boundaries of London, Westminster, Southwark, Lambeth, Marylebone, Finsbury and Tower Hamlets are outlined in colour. The map is divided into squares with letters and numbers for reference along the margins for reference, with an interpretive key in panel below the plan.
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER
The title of this map appears near the top right in a vignette depicting Father Thames, with compass rose at bottom right, scale bar at bottom centre, and an alphabetical list of streets in the table below the plan. Roads, open spaces and the built-up area within the city are depicted in colour. The boundaries of the 'Liberty’ of the Tower of London is similarly depicted in colour ('Liberty', in this sense, means an area of separate jurisdiction to the rest of the city). Finally, the map extends eastward to include the Isle of Dogs and the docks, which were then under construction.
NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND THE ENVIRONS from an Original Survey EXTENDING 6 3/4 Miles North & South in which all New and Intended Buildings and Improvements are carefully Inserted
This folding map is set within a decorative border. The title and imprint feature at top right, the compass star at middle right, and scale bar at bottom left. The river, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. This is the fourth edition of a map first issued by Thompson in 1823, updated with the addition of St. Katherine's Dock and the housing developments in the Marylebone and Mile End areas.